Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
hesitating, stalling, now wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2011, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default hesitating, stalling, now wont start

2 days ago i was driving and when i came 2 a stop the car hesitated and then shut off. today i came 2 a stop light and it did the same thing...the next stop light it did it again...then i continued driving and it would hardly run and i had 2 put it in neutral and give it gas 2 keep it running. shortly after it completely shut off so i drifted into a parking lot and now it wont start at all!

it has spark and fuel pressure and it looks like the cam and timing belt both spin.

hopefully someone has some ideas b/c i have 2 work tomorrow and its stuck in the parking lot!

p.s. no codes displayed
Old 27 Jun 2011, 06:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: hesitating, stalling, now wont start

Sounds like the cam sensor to me but you should get a code if it is.My old Grand Cherokee did the same thing and thats what it was.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 08:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well usually when it is the CPS, it doesn't have spark.. at least that's what happened in both of my Neons.

But anyways, accidentally broke a plug wire, and went to get a new one, turns out they gave me non-turbo wires the last time I changed em.

Either way, changed them out (1.5 hrs later) and it started-ish, but it ran like crap and spit and sputtered and shut off again.

I'm assuming its because it sat for a bit, but not sure why that would affect it... :-\

Any other suggestions? Cruzin maybe? Someone? lol
Old 27 Jun 2011, 11:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Is arcane still in a parking lot?

The cps is a very common issues in the pts, if its startingish then it prob isnt the timing belt. Youre plugs and wires were clean too right?

It sounds like its something funky and probably nothing too difficult.

Have you bled the fuel lines? You meantion its getting gas. When my car sputtered I bled the lines then turned the ignition and had my foot on the gas to the floor and I started okay after a while.

Im rly hopin someone on here can provide you with the answer to your problem

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 28 Jun 2011, 06:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Yup still in a lot. Went out this morning and it started for a few seconds, so i floored it and it topped at 3000rpm, then spit sputtered and shut off. Woont start again. Cleaned IAC and cleared pcm and no change. Id like to try the cam sensor, but you cant return them if that isnt the prob

Last edited by Morkeste; 28 Jun 2011 at 07:17 am.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your getting spark the next thing is fuel. On the left end of the fuel rail there should be a test port. You need to hook up a guage to see if you have pressure.

BTW: you shouldn't be able to go over about 3500 rpms while your sitting in idle. The computer shuts down the injectors to stop you over revving the engine and hurting something.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:30 am
Senior Cruiser

When Ihadtostart my car i left my footon the gas thewholetime it was starting and even after it started, i found for some reason taking my foot offthe gas for even a second made my car just sputter off.

I kept my foot on thegas and reving at like 4krpms for about a minute until I slowly started letting off of it. After about 3 mins of slowly letting off the gas I was able to have my whole foot off the gas pedal and ive never had a problem since.

This was back when I had to take off my uim to paint it and had todepressurize the fuel lines.

Good news is a new cam wouldnt hurt and would prevent a future issue in a commonlyscrewed up part. Im wondering if youre fuel pump isrunning efficiently.

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dill; 28 Jun 2011 at 10:32 am.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeste View Post
But anyways, accidentally broke a plug wire, and went to get a new one, turns out they gave me non-turbo wires the last time I changed em.
There are no special wires for turbo - they all take the same wires.
Had you recently gotten gas? Bad fuel?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
I kept my foot on the gas and revving at like 4k rpms for about a minute until I slowly started letting off of it.

Holy crap Batman You sure about that Dill? The PT will hardly reach that rev range at idle without cutting out because the computer cuts the fuel injectors so you don't blow the engine to little pieces.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah its what I did lol, I kept starting it and itd sputter when id let off the gas like a normal start. So eventually i just left my foot to the floor and after awhile like that I was able to let off the gas and it idled fine and has started fine ever since

And my car lets ne rev higher than 3.5, in fact in my exhaust test vid I revved to like 5 lol