Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermittent cutting out on 03gt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2011, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intermittent cutting out on 03gt

I have an 03 Pt Gt. It has around 100,000 miles on it. I tuned it up about 10,000 miles ago, plugs, wires.

Over the past 3 months it has developed a odd issue. Its happened 5 times. Normally it happens when im cruising down the highway at 60mph. All of a sudden it will start to cut out if I try to acclerate. Its almost like a rev limiter has kicked in. I get no check engine light. I used an Innova 3160 to check the codes and everything seems to be ok. On a side note I replaced the cam position sensor about a year and half ago. But I switched it because the check engine light came on.

Any ideas? I know its hard to diagnose issues on the internet but any help would be appreciated.
Old 05 Jul 2011, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent cutting out on 03gt

Yes, the timing belt may be slipping at higher speeds. We tell everyone to change the belt and water pump at 100K and your there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2011, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I left out one detail. If I pull over and restart the car it clears up the issue every time.

Do you think that would still be a timing belt issue?
Old 05 Jul 2011, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kinda left out a big part. Yea, that should eliminate the belt but you are saying you go right back to the same speed that caused the problem after restarting the car and there's no cutting out at all. It goes away altogether? When does it come back?

Can you just start up and drive for a few minutes at lower speeds, then shut it down and get rid of the problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2011, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah sorry about that.

I can restart the car and I will have zero issues. This happened once about 3 months ago and didn't happen again for over a month and half. Each time I can just restart the car and I will have zero issues.
Old 05 Jul 2011, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hard to diagnose when something happens so little. I take it your not getting any fault codes with the engine light staying on? You might try taking off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. That resets the computer, gets rid of all the stored codes (if any) and it's like rebooting your home computer. You start fresh. The engine might stumble at idle for a minute or so while it re-learns the settings.

Old 05 Jul 2011, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I tried that a few weeks ago. Good advice though I appreciate it.

One other weird thing I forgot to mention, when this happens I cant turn the cruise control on. The light in the dash wont turn green. When I restart the car it will work.
Old 05 Jul 2011, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I tried doing a search but can't find anything with high RPM stutter and cruise control not working where a restart fixes everything. Gonna have to leave it for someone else to come up with something.

Here's something, but not on a PT.

2004 GMC Savanna misfires. Turning off key and restarting fixes problem temporaily. (Engine Stalling GMC Savana)

Woops, somebody with your problem but there hasn't been an answer.

Old 05 Jul 2011, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well looks like I caught a break. Check engine light just came on and i got a P0344. Looks like the Oreillys camshaft sensor has crashed. Ill go to central dodge tommorrow and get a mopar one.

Does anyone remimber what tools are required? Im an apartment dweller now so my tools are kinda scarce. For some reason I wanna say its a torx bit?
Old 05 Jul 2011, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure. See if this helps.

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo