PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine knocking in 2nd only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2011, 12:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question Engine knocking in 2nd only

Hi to every one... I have this issue and dont know what or why... The car is not trowing any code no light and I even take it to the mechanic and not a single code... I drive slow all the time with my 03 GT autostick it has on right now 27455 miles and only wen I floor it when I need to pass a car I can hear a bit of knoking only in 2nd gear at 4k rpm and then it dissapears and the 3rd kicks and it will go... its like in the end of the 2nd gear knocks not too hard and then all its fine... the car runs great... I have the tylor 8.2 cables and spark plugs gap at .045 I use to have them in .040 but I get bad mpg... my mechanic says the here in mexico the 91 oct fuel its all crappy and thats whats happening... I even though of a bad injector or coil but the obdII didnt show anything... does anyone had the same problem? or does any one noticed that with bad fuel? I once in a wile trow some octane booster but since I dont drive agresive I didnt noticed.. but I start to get pickie with this little knocking... thanx for your time and help

Daniel
Old 04 Aug 2011, 01:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Engine knocking in 2nd only

ok no one?... no one has ever been in this situation? ive fill up my last 2 gas tanks with 92 oct from chevron in San Diego and the the car stills knocks at 4K rpm in 2nd gear then it dissapears... could it be the timing? the coil? a wire? ... Im blank here because Ive been with 3 diferent mechanics and no codes or fault data storage... so any one please? help?

Thanks Daniel
Old 04 Aug 2011, 10:25 am
Regular Cruiser

Since there are no codes it may be mechanical. How loud is the knocking? You might want to check to make sure your torque convertor bolts are not loose.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 04 Aug 2011, 02:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Engine knocking in 2nd only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TurbosUnleashed View Post
Since there are no codes it may be mechanical. How loud is the knocking? You might want to check to make sure your torque convertor bolts are not loose.

Chris-TU
hi chris... thanks for the response, the noise is not to loud,I can only hear it with the windows up, but if I want to hear it with the windows down I need to accelerate close to a wall or an alley so the noise rebounds... because is not that loud and only last a bit when the car is ready to change gear from 2d to 3rd... in autostick mode is the same it starts at 4k rpm and if I dont change gear it will rattle for like 2 seconds then go away and then at redline start to rattle again... thats why Im a little confused... the car only has 27,807 miles on it... I checked for shaft play but only the normal side to side no in amd out... To be onest I really dont know a thing about the torque converter... what I can show you and some say it as to do with toque is the engine movement because of the mounts that appear to start failing here is a link of the video I posted a few days a go if that helps

Engine mounts advice please

again... thank you so much chris
Daniel

Last edited by niel; 04 Aug 2011 at 02:36 pm.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 01:02 am
Cool Cruiser

OK guys... I solve the "knocking problem" damn I feel so dork! it was the stupid Radio antenna in the fender... the thing was loose I search for shinny spots all over the engine bay and down the car and nothing... I don't know why? (guess he is smart) my brother told me man your antenna is so loose your gonna lost it in the freeway... so I took a look under the fender and it was like all loose and stuff so I just tight it up and no more "Engine, Piston, Valve Knocking or misfire" LOL damn sorry guys but if you have the same issue as me and think that its the engine think twice and look for shiny spots... the strange thing is that it only happened at 4k rpm but I read here in the forum that at 4k rpm its when the engine gets to work and all that jazz and that 4k rpm is the drone point for bad exhaust ... so I thing the car had the bit of shaky thingy happening at 4k rpm and that's why happened at that rpm and sounded like knock but not lineal... was a random knock... so my stupidity can be a help for a less headache for some of you in the future

Thanks guys
Daniel