Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about synthetic oil in the turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2011, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to OrlandoSB Send a message via Yahoo to OrlandoSB Send a message via Skype™ to OrlandoSB
Default Question about synthetic oil in the turbo

I have an '05 2.4L Turbo, I was told it should have synthetic oil because of the turbo. When I bought it in May, the dealer had the oil changed (not a Chrysler dealer) but I don't think they put synthetic in. In fact I don't think it ever had synthetic because on the front of the owners' manual someone wrote "5W30"

I'm due for an oil change this weekend, should I have them put a synthetic oil in, and if so whats a good brand to use? Also will it be OK to put it in when regular oil was in there before or do I have to flush it out with something?

Thanks in advance guys for your input.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question about synthetic oil in the turbo

I used dyno oil for the first three years, then switched to synth after that. I change my own oil now as it's much cheaper when using synthetic oil. You can buy a 5 quart bottle of Mobil1 at Walmart for between $22 and $25 in most places. I buy the Purolator free-flow performance oil filter that's about $6, rather than the cheapo $2 types. I bought a pair of rhino ramps, they are the honeycombed plastic ramps, as my steel ramps were too steep for me to get the front end on (PT's lowered and regular ramps won't do).

Pull up on the ramps, drop the filter and the drain plug, and in about 15 minutes or so you are done. My wife's car has a lifetime maintenance contract on it so she goes every 3k miles and gets her oil changed so I don't have to touch it, but found that changing my own oil is really easy. I bought one of those nice catch cans from Advance Auto, and when I'm done I stick it in a plastic bag and carry it back to Advance as they have a large used oil recycling container in back of the store and you can dump in it for free.

Now the reason for the synth versus dyno, is that the oil feed lines to the turbo tend to coke up, especially if you don't allow proper cooling of the car when done driving. If I've done a hard run, I usually slow down about 5 miles before home and drive under the speed limit, then when I get home I sit for one minute allowing the engine to idle. That allows the turbo to cool down. If you run hard, then shut down, your oil stays in the lines at the turbo and when it's really hot, it'll cook that oil until it starts to turn to coke. When it cokes up, your lines get clogged and there goes your turbo.

So if you run dyno oil, make sure you allow proper cool down time for your turbo.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Just put synthetic, don't take any chances. I usually go to Advance Auto parts or Autozone and get the Mobil 1 5w30 with Mobil 1 filter for $32...
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to OrlandoSB Send a message via Yahoo to OrlandoSB Send a message via Skype™ to OrlandoSB

Thanks guys, will do. I guess I can get the ramps there too? I was just gonna take it to an oil change shop and tell them what I want for oil, but I guess they'd probably skin me.....
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

Synthetic Oil is a MUST for all turbo Engines it will help your turbo from cooking the oil that stays in it after a shut down... If you don't use synthetic your turbo wont last a bit.... you don't need to drain anything or flush... because 5w30 its a synthetic type made by Mobil1 and that's the brand I use...so the last owner used synthetic oil and no need to worry... I'm answering to help because I know that a lot of guys will read your post and will tell you that if you made a little search in the forum you will find a TON! of post about this topic... but there it is... hope to help ... remember too that never shut down the car if you drive it hard or long trip... wait like 2 to 3 minutes then shut it down, never Boost in 4rth gear and if you still have the OEM spark plug cables...try to change them they suck... and! always use 91 oct or + fuel

Hope to help
Daniel
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, Daniel. I've been using 87 octane because its $3.57 a gallon here, but I think I'll just pay the extra 15 cents or so and get the 91.

Thanks again

Samm
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoSB View Post
Thanks for the info, Daniel. I've been using 87 octane because its $3.57 a gallon here, but I think I'll just pay the extra 15 cents or so and get the 91.

Thanks again

Samm
Yup... go for the 91, that is the con of having a GT but its just a little extra money so 91 is the way to go
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ido have a problem right now because here in Mexico the fuel its bad and I use 91 oct... but I hear a knocking when I floor it, I post a tread because I search and can find some topic like that...do you hear some knocking with the 87 oct fuel?... I really like to know whats happening
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't get a knock at all. I took her up to 100mph last weekend on the interstate for a minute or two, it actually surprised me how smooth it was and it didn't take long to get to 100.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:42 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoSB View Post

Thanks again

Samm
You will damage your engine if you use 87 octane