PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Default P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

Hey guys/Gals,

As you all may have seen latley Ive been asking a lot of questions about my PT GT. And I had just done a turbo replacement and complete tune up (WP, Timing Belt, Pulleys, Serp Belt, Thermo, etc...) Everything engine wise has been great since the work. EXCEPT for a check engine light that came on say about 300-350 miles after work was done. Needless to say I got super worried, my mechanic is 250 miles away and I dont want to Fry anything.So I babied it back down to daytona this weekend and had him run my code. He came back with:

P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

And he told me that the car is seeing more air than the computer is use to or wants, thus it idles at a little higher RPM. He said that the car is seeing this as a problem and thats why its throwing the code.

If what he says is true, could it be the fact that the car ran without the turbo spooling for about a year, if not more, and now it's seeing the increase in air/ air pressure?

Anyway, he said my car idling at around 1000 to 1200 RPM when its started and then droping to between 800 and 1000 when it warms up is a bad thing. I personally think the car runs smoother than ever, but hey what do I know Im just an E.I.

He asked if I had done anything to the car, I told him I removed the silencer from the air box and showed him the airbox mod I had done ( the code had already been thrown before the mod) and he agreed that it shouldnt have anything to do with the code, but recommended I put the silencer back in JUST IN CASE ( I dont want to if I dont HAVE to).

He also stated that if the light came back on after the reset and threw the same code that I would have to replace the sensor (Approx. $175 installed). Well the light sure as hell came back on during the trip home, same code.This will be my 7th sensor this year if it has to be done.

I was wondering if just a reset of the computer would do? Anything cheaper than replacing another G.D. sensor.

I REALLY do hate sensors....

Thanks.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 25 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

Are you sure you are throwing a MAF sensor code? As far as I know the PT has always had a speed density FI setup and not a mass air flow setup. You have a MAP sensor, maybe that is what you are refering to? I realize that the codes are just a generic list but I can't think what would cause a MAF code.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 25 Jul 2011, 01:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Your right. MAP sensor.
My bad.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 25 Jul 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Buy it and replace it yourself. Should take about...oh, 2 minutes!. The turbo might be a little different but shouldn't be that much. Take the negative battery cable off when you do and reset the computer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Jul 2011 at 03:49 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2011, 09:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Alright yall, I replaced MAP sensor. Light went off..... drove to work, put car in park and sat to let her cool down for a second. Everything was great.... then "PING!!!" check engine light!

So I said a few words, *&*&*((&^%%& and did the key dance to pull the code.

New code : P0507 Idle Speed High

NOW WHAT!?!
Hopefully not another sensor replacement, have I mentioned I hate sensors??

Old 02 Aug 2011, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0507

Idle Speed Rpm Higher Than Desired Idle Speed

Circuit know-how

The air content needed to reach the engine is regulated by the ECM along with an Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve.

The ECM regulates the pintle inside the IAC valve away from the throttle body seat in order to raise the idle rpm thereby enabling excess air to escape from the throttle body.

Just the reverse is done for the opposite, i.e. the ECM directs the pintle towards the throttle body seat thereby restricting air from going to the throttle blade.

The scan tool will show you the IAC valve pintle position specifically denoting that more air is escaping from the throttle blade if the counts are high.

If the reading is 200rpm above the ideal value ,it implies that a high idle condition prevails which is identified by the DTC.
============================================

You can take the IAC valve off pretty easy and clean it the best you can and try that or just buy a new one and replace the old.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Aug 2011, 03:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

CREWZIN, I feel like I should just PM you whenever I have a problem lol

You always seem to be the to answer.

Old 02 Aug 2011, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's cause I'm always here...watchin over the forum.

I get plenty of newbee's PMimg me with a question instead of going into the forum. If it's a short answer, I'll PM them back, if not I'll direct them to the forum.