Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horn wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Horn wiring

Hi. have a 2003 Pt turbo cruiser and I need help on reiwing the horn so I can put them on the front of my car. I have almost been killed because others cannot hear this horn because of the location under the wheel well. Even though both high and low are connected. I am going to put in an air horn but it does not have 2 terminals like the original horn has.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Horn wiring

Only have 1 terminal? Then the + (red) would got to that terminal and the - or black ground would go to metal part on the horn.
Try if first using scrap wire on the battery posts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Aug 2011, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

TJC I'll see if I can't find all my info. I did the same thing, then decided to mount two chrome horns in the engine bay and a wolo badboy self-contained airhorn on the nose. Here's some pics...

Now I'm assuming your PT is US version, so you may only have one horn, mounted behind the splash guard in the drivers front fender well. That one is easy to move because there's plenty of wire there. If you have both horns then the other will be on the passenger side but up in front of the tranny area. Mine only came with the single High-note horn, and talk about wimpy sounding!

I do also suggest you power them through a relay rather than straight off the horn ring, but that's really not necessary unless you're going to do what I did and get louder horns.

Also, many people have mounted their horns under the plastic cover where the windshield washer pump is mounted. There's lots of empty space there and plenty can be done in that area.

Here's a pic of the wolo, not the loudest but much better than the original. Also, please be aware that the factory horns are most times mounted with the trumpet at the incorrect angle, lending to premature failure. The trumpet must face in a direction that allows water and dirt to drop out of it. Mine was full of water when I pulled it because the trumpet faced up.

The badboy was easy to install, and I used the factory plugs right on it until I added other horns, then I put a relay in line to save the horn switch from burning out.

Last edited by Chromenut; 01 Aug 2011 at 04:59 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2011, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I was thinking of getting either the Wolo or maybe airhorns. Did you find the Wolo significantly louder than the stock?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Horn wiring

Posting pictures of you horns, without audio, is JUST CRIMINAL!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Aug 2011, 08:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Posting pictures of you horns, without audio, is JUST CRIMINAL!
Yeah! <beeeep> I was scoping out a replacement horn a few days ago and found a site that had .wav files for each horn type they had. Extremely helpful. Some that I like the look of sounded like a moped horn (albeit a Very Loud moped).
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."
Old 02 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The wolo is 118db and my factory horn says 103db on it, if I remember correctly. Plus moving it to the front grill really made a ton of difference. I had the factory one there for a few weeks before buying the wolo.

If you want to hear my horn, it's here on Wolo's site.

There is ABSOLUTELY no comparison to the factory horn!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolo
MODEL 419 BAD BOY™
DUAL TONE AIR HORN
118 Decibels-530/680 Hz

Last edited by Chromenut; 02 Aug 2011 at 10:56 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2011, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Horn wiring

Now, that's what I'm talking about!
WooHoo!.....er....Wolo?
Gonna try to remember that the next time one of my two goes out.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Aug 2011, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

does anybody remember the movie the car? it was about a demon possessed car out in the desert, the actual car was an old lincoln mark iv made by george barris. it had a killer horn that i have never been able to find again. its almost like a big rig's horn.