Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I hate my Horn !!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2004, 09:56 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default I hate my Horn !!!!!

I almost had a couple of bad accidents because my horn sounds like something from the shelf of Toys R us. YOU CAN'T HEAR IT. I have the 2003 model where they discontinued the second horn.Here is what I'd like to do. Install a LOUD air horn for everyday use. and also a novelty horn like an A Uo Ga or BEEP BEEP for car shows and such. anyone done this yet? concerned about limited space under the hood. Gary
Old 08 Jan 2004, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Me too. DC did a bad thing when they gave us that anemic single horn. It's dangerous, especially right now as everyone has their windows up, their heat on full blast, the stereo on and a cell phone up against their ear. And that's the GOOD drivers!
Supposedly it's an easy mod to add the second horn - standard part from the parts desk, but I'm with you - If I'm going to go through the hassle of adding a horn I want a LOUD one. I want that idiot that's about to make a u-turn into me to think there's a transport truck filled with nuclear warheads and female marines with PMS in his way!! Make him think more than twice about getting in my way.
I already have an aooghah horn as my "Hi, how are you" horn.
Old 08 Jan 2004, 11:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, I added a 2nd horn to the cruiser. I still was not happy, not loud enough. The placement of the original horn is completely sealed and mutes the sound of the horns. This makes an already weak sounding horn even weaker. I then added a second set of horns (from a 2003 Alero) to the other side of the car in the same place as the originals. Still was not loud enough to wake anyone up if they're doing a dumb thing in front of you. Finally I got some Hella german horns from Griots Garage. I found out about these from another post on this forum. I removed the grille (only 2 bolts to remove) and installad them behind the grille over to each side (to insure not to blocf air flow ro the coolers and radiator). These horns are 113db, and mounted with no resriction (unlike the original horn placement) they are LOUD. In fact it is hard to stand in front of the cruiser with the alarm screaming. One caution though, the only drawback is that if you run into a deer hard enough the horns get bent backwards and may poke a hole in the transmission cooler. Don't ask me how I know LOL...

Old 08 Jan 2004, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

The Hella horns that Gear Head is talking about are part # 85115.They're called the Twin Supertone Horns.They're made in Germany, although Hella will be moving tooling for these to their division in India.This will drastically reduce the cost of the horns, and the part should look and perform identically.We also currently have another set of horns that come from india that look *nearly* identical to these, but the part # is 85315.They are much cheaper.The only difference is that with the 85115 you get one 300Hz and one 500Hz.With the 85315 you get one 300Hz and one 375Hz, so it may not be as high-pitched.The 85115 are *very* loud and produce a sound similar to very high-end European cars like Ferarri, etc.You can order either of these from any Hella retailer, including Griot's, which is one of my customers.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 08 Jan 2004, 03:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by turbomangt

I almost had a couple of bad accidents because my horn sounds like something from the shelf of Toys R us. YOU CAN'T HEAR IT. I have the 2003 model where they discontinued the second horn.Here is what I'd like to do. Install a LOUD air horn for everyday use. and also a novelty horn like an A Uo Ga or BEEP BEEP for car shows and such. anyone done this yet? concerned about limited space under the hood. Gary
I have had the same experience. I was wondering if the Heela horn could be mounted in the position of the OEM horn?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 08 Jan 2004, 04:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Cal, you might get them both in there, but it would be a tight squeeze. They may not point in the right direction, and you would have to fabricate brackets to work with. These horns are bigger that the stock horns. That being said they are loud enough that I don't think that it would matter which direction they pointed......
Old 08 Jan 2004, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i know a guy that put a 5 mile train horn, compressor and all in the car!! loud holy crap !! you should see the people jump up in the air!! im surprised no one has killed him yet
Old 09 Jan 2004, 01:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Gear Head. Are those red circles the horns? If so, any problems with water in that location?
Old 09 Jan 2004, 02:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My 79 Mustang had that same deal..horn couldn't hear it from inside or outside the car. Had to install another.
I had an 01 LE and that sounded great (as far as horns go) That was weak d/c'ing the second horn...and a significant safety issue if u ask me.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 09 Jan 2004, 11:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have had no problem with moisture. the construction of the horn is sealed facing forward. Don't think that moisture will be an issue, but have only had these on for 6 months. Still work like the day I bought em.......