PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
and so it begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 026TB4U
Default and so it begins

I was just informed it will be 1 week before i get my car back with the new pieces in my tranny. What the hell are blocker rings anyway.that is what I was told failed or broke[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

I could be wrong, but i beleive they are rings that prevent the gear from going past where they should, you shift a gear and the blocker acts as a stop. ( I could be wrong though)
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here's something I found...

When the driver moves the shift lever, the shift mechanism inside the transmission moves a synchronizer splined collar towards the selected gear. The splined collar also moves a blocker ring into contact with a short cone that is part of the gear. As you push harder on the shifter, the tapered blocker ring presses harder against the cone on the gear, causing the gear to speed up or slow down. The blocker ring 'synchronizes' the speed of the free turning gear with the speed of the sliding collar and shaft. With the speeds matching, the collar can then slide easily over the blocker ring and onto the smaller teeth on the gear. All this is done without any gear clash, because the speed of the collar and the gear are the same.

Problems occur when the synchronizer blocker rings or the cone on the side of the gear are worn. Usually this happens in second or third gear, because these gears see the most use. Symptoms include hard shifting or gears grinding. The same symptoms can sometimes occur if a driver tries to shift very slowly into a gear. The force of the synchronizer's blocker ring isn't great enough to slow the gear down, so the sliding collar can't mesh smoothly.

Blocker rings are often made out of brass alloy, and are considered a consumable part in the transmission. Drive with a light throttle and the blocker rings can last the life of the vehicle. Drive aggressively, shifting up and down often while under heavy load, and the blocker rings can wear or be damaged in a few thousand kilometres. Stainless steel blocker rings with a composite lining for a clutch material applied to them are used in a few transmissions to increase durability. Honda's 2003 Accord uses double cone synchronizers in the first four gears to increase the wearing surface of the blocker rings.

If a transmission isn't shifting smoothly, maybe all that is needed are new blocker rings, but the gear cones may also be worn. Gears are often special order parts, so repairs can take a while. Try downshifting a transmission to check the synchronizer operation. The synchro has to work a lot harder to speed up the gears during a downshift, so if there are problems, it will show up as extremely hard shifting or gear clash then.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 13 Jan 2004, 07:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 026TB4U

thanks irpt that sounds like what was happening.