Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil & Filter Change.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2004, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil & Filter Change.

Just had the oil and filter changed on my GT Turbo. It is the second time. Two different dealers. After a few miles the filter begins to slowly leak. Both dealers say they only hand tighten the filter. After snugging it with a filter tool it is ok. Have any of you had this happen or is it just something with my car. thanks.[:I]
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

You've had bad lucky boddy.
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by one_fast_pt

Just had the oil and filter changed on my GT Turbo. It is the second time. Two different dealers. After a few miles the filter begins to slowly leak. Both dealers say they only hand tighten the filter. After snugging it with a filter tool it is ok. Have any of you had this happen or is it just something with my car. thanks.[:I]
I found that I had to snug my also with a filter tool. BTW, I used a NAPA tool. Did you also take a look at the bottom of the radiator while you were under there?

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 14 Jan 2004, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I worked for two garages and have been changing my own oil for "countless" years. I was taught from the very beginning to hand tighten the filter and then ANOTHER 1/4 turn with some sort of filter wrench. A smear of oil all along the new rubber ring on the filter will ensure a tight fit.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 06:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

I was taught from the very beginning to hand tighten the filter and then ANOTHER 1/4 turn with some sort of filter wrench. A smear of oil all along the new rubber ring on the filter will ensure a tight fit.
That's the way I've always done it.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 14 Jan 2004, 06:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

...I was taught from the very beginning to hand tighten the filter and then ANOTHER 1/4 turn with some sort of filter wrench. A smear of oil all along the new rubber ring on the filter will ensure a tight fit.
Never a leak or problem doing it this way! [|)] [?]
Old 14 Jan 2004, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

when i had my electric blue gt i had the oil changed came out the next morning had a decent puddle under the car, i went right back to the oil place the guy says oh sorry it was only hand tight i thought thats enough?? got two free oil changes due to that moron
Old 15 Jan 2004, 02:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Why would you want to go back?

DIY...less hassle, less time, you know it is done correctly, and you can inspect under the car for trouble.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

I do the tranny the same way, MYSELF! And with the tranny I can see how much metal is in the pan and the next time I change it I can take note to how much metal is in there if any. And I always install a drain so the next time it is not so much work. I like to change it sooner than the book calls for, clean oil = longer life.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt
Old 16 Jan 2004, 02:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

you must put oil on the gasket before putting the filter on. otherwise the filter will feel tight because of friction when in fact it is not tight. I have never tightened the filter on any car with something besides my hands. the filter cans are so thin today that almost any tool would damage them.