Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Air Intake

I've been reading posts about the turbo as regards aftermarket intakes (Aire, K&N, etc.) because I thought one would help. What I have discovered, is that because hot air is blown back, the best option is to somehow or other get cold(er) air into the factory box from outside the inner fender.
I also am not certain as to whether to go with d dual exhaust aftermarket or bigger/better single outlet since only one muffler is involved.
HELP!!!
Also, does anyone have before and after dyno specs on a 03 turbo with exhaust and air intake only upgrades?
thanks,
Bob
Plain-Jane (at the moment) DCII #1758
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Bob, have you put your car on a dyno yet? Mine's a stock Dream II too, and I was planning on it last Saturday to get a baseline, but was unable to.I'm going to try again this Saturday.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 14 Jan 2004, 03:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Tallman

I've been reading posts about the turbo as regards aftermarket intakes (Aire, K&N, etc.) because I thought one would help. What I have discovered, is that because hot air is blown back, the best option is to somehow or other get cold(er) air into the factory box from outside the inner fender.
I also am not certain as to whether to go with d dual exhaust aftermarket or bigger/better single outlet since only one muffler is involved.
HELP!!!
Also, does anyone have before and after dyno specs on a 03 turbo with exhaust and air intake only upgrades?
thanks,
Bob
Plain-Jane (at the moment) DCII #1758
Bob

I discovered different results, I'd bet that you could pick up 10-15WHP from a K&N Typhoon on your car.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 14 Jan 2004, 11:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Hi Bob!

Look for macster's dyno thread on here for some definite numbers. He has Stage 1, but a good quantifier nonetheless.

I have an accelerometer but it is not compatible with the PT yet--this reminds me that I need to check the Gtech board. More results to come, since there are several of us who are looking for the best possible air intake method.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 01:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

ummm....once again, the coolness of the air being drawn in is not as important on our cars as the amount of air being drawn in. We have an intercooler for a reason, the turbo will heat up ANY air in the intake system. The drawbacks on the stock setup are the numerous silencers and the diameter of the pipe, which restrict the amount of air that is able to be pulled in. Obviously, after driving for a while the ambient temp of engine bay and hence the air will rise...
As for exhaust, you want as little restriction as possible, back pressure is the enemy here. A nice 2.5 inch exhaust will serve your needs. Unless you plan on shooting for over 300hp, then a 3" will be needed.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 04:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

The intercooler will drop the intake temp a certain amount relative to the temp going into it, the lower the input temp, the lower the output temp.

Removing the rear weatherstrip will lower the engine bay temp (and in turn the intake temp overall); I replaced mine with a door guard strip to keep it tidy. I also never need to defog the windshield.

But yes, volume of air is most important for sure.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 02:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Rolo- i also taook off the rear weather stripping and it made a difference in engine bay temps. There was a debate way back about whether this mod caused the turbo to run hotter because the air was being sucked out of the top of the engine bay as opposed to being routed out the rear at the bottom. Either way, i run 1/4 mile not road racing, so the benefits of the cowl mod are more important to me than having the turbo run a fraction cooler after an hour or so.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 05:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

I agree with cop tzer on this totally..The air coming out of the turbo is at least 300 degrees I bet.. I just don't see how a 5 degree difference at the intake (over the stock intake at speed) will make much, if any, difference.. I'd wager the difference in temp after the IC MAY be a degree or so, but I doubt it's even that. Obviously the difference between 90 degree weather and 20 degree weather would be a different story
I personaly think a short-ram (for intake volume with the smallest amount of restrictions) with the weather strip mod (otherwise it's way past that 5 degree difference!) is probably the best way to go? I'll have to look at thos eolder posts regarding the weather strip mod again... It's all theory at the moment though running a temp sensor to the plastic throttle body pipe to get some hard data would be worth looking into..
- Custom exhaust: no muffler, side exit.
- Replaced air box with open end cone filter.
- Stage 1
Old 16 Jan 2004, 06:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Jason:
I put a water temp. sensor in the plastic intake body and got basically no results at all. The thermal mass of the sensor makes it take too long to react and you get no change on the gauge. Anybody got any better ideas?
John
2003 GT Silver, factory flames, pinstripes, BTG duals, stage 1, 3 silencers removed, K&N dropin, Suspension Techniques sways, BTG strut brace, 17X8 Sport Edition wheels, Yokohama 245-40 AVS ES100 tires, RED calipers, Hidden Hitch
Old 19 Jan 2004, 05:40 am
Senior Cruiser

I am real happy with my K&N Typhoon I thought maybe 10 HP but some dyno tests I have seen say maybe 15! My stock but factory air box moded PT got a hair less than 200 HP on the K&M Dyno for its best run!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.