PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is "tape" used between two-tone paint colors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2004, 05:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Is "tape" used between two-tone paint colors?

I got my first close-up look of a new 2004 Dream Cruiser Series 3 yesterday in my dealer's showroom. It is a beautiful car [^] but I question whether it is worth the $32,850 asking price. However, I think a serious and informed buyer should be able get one for around 30K or possibly less. I was told by the General Sales Manager that the car is painted Midnight Blue at the factory in Mexico and then shipped to Los Angeles where another company is subcontracted by DC to do the silver paint. Just below the "paint line" there was a very thin "pin-stripe" and above it where the two paint colors meet there appeared to be "TAPE"??? It was well-done and it was hard to tell whether this is what was used between the two colors of paint. Does anyone know for sure? [:I] Just curious. Thanks.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gary,
What color was the "tape"...clear? You would have thought they would have used the pin-stripe right at the line between the two colors.[:I]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 06:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I'm not sure if it was "tape" ??? but the line between the two colors seemed "too smooth" to be paint. I agree with you--I would have thought a pin-stripe would have been used to hide the line where to two paint colors meet.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 02:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

I was surprised that they paint over the dark colour with a light one, including the front fascia and rear bumper. Look up close and see if the silver on the plastic matches the silver on the metal (the one I saw did not, there was a blue shade showing through the plastic). I was shocked that they did it that way...seems kinda cheesy.

Re: Price. Supply and demand, especially early in the model year (why I waited until October, I paid $21,500). Personally, that price is far too high. The PT simply is not a $30K+ car. For that price, I would have bought a Murano or kept my truck and bought a 350Z.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:21 am
Cool Cruiser

I thought I paid to much for mine till I found out it was a limited production. mainly bought for the color , pretty close to UT burnt orange color. UT= univ. of TEXAS and of course the turbo also sold me. and the price of 18,500 was also in my price range.
2003 Dream cruiser 2 #1434

mopar bov and k&n drop in filter ,billet shorty antenna, silencers removed, custom painted rear shelf that says\"Dream Cruiser II\"and maybe, doubtfully soon------stage 1
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

30 to 32k for a PT? No Way! I would buy a Suby STI!
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rolo

I was surprised that they paint over the dark colour with a light one, including the front fascia and rear bumper...I was shocked that they did it that way...seems kinda cheesy...
There must be a "better way" to do it??? [|)] I believe that all the new two-tone paint options at $250 additional cost will be done in the same manner.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 02:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

10-15 years ago GM frequently used tape at the edge between two colors. Tape was two-tone and matched both colors, adding extra pin striping to a simple edge. I guess it could still be used. Still waiting to see our first DCS3. Wife wants a closer look at the door sills?$?
Old 19 Jan 2004, 02:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skeeter1620

I thought I paid to much for mine till I found out it was a limited production. mainly bought for the color , pretty close to UT burnt orange color. UT= univ. of TEXAS and of course the turbo also sold me. and the price of 18,500 was also in my price range.
$18,500 skeeter? Good job! I was going to offer $19,500 originally, but I really, really wanted the DC2 and that was the last one in 4000 sq. miles, so I got a little chickeny at the last minute. Heh, always go with your first impression! [xx(]

Gary: I would think that they would have to seal where the paint ends so it does not wear or chip off.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:41 am
Young Cruiser

Mine is a custom 2 tone Patriot Blue with silver top. I have mine pinstriped around the paint line just to clean the edge between the 2 colours.
The down side (which will be even worse on the DC3) is that stone chips are even more noticable than normal on the silver because they chip down to the blue.
The other thing I didn't really like is that rather than paint to the top of the beltline the went below . This means instead of only having the hood painted at the front you have to also paint the top of the fenders and grill(the grill isn't done).

Steve