PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

3" cold air or 2 1/2 " hot air intake ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2004, 10:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default 3" cold air or 2 1/2 " hot air intake ??????

A fellow GT owner ask me to install a Kay & nn air intake for him. I was suprised to find that it was only 2 1/2" piping all the way and did not reach into the factory air opening in the fenderwell (draws hot air all the time). I had the AMX1397 turbo up air intake on my car, we ran, my car won, three times. We then switched intakes, the full 3" intake was now on his car, we ran, from dead stop, 20mph and 60mph and this time he won all three times. I then ask a freind of his to drive each car, they ran, and the 2 1/2 intake lost again. so the 3" intake pipe is better, or maybe it was because the 3" intake reached into the fenderwell for the colder air, what ever the reason both cars now have the 3" piping that reaches into the fenderwell. The amx1397 turbo up intake is not being made at this time. There is the brand name ones that are 2 1/2" piping and pulls hot air for sale...
Old 23 Jan 2004, 10:56 am
Dedicated Cruiser

That's really interesting amx1397, thanks.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 23 Jan 2004, 04:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

That's really interesting amx1397, thanks.
ditti!

Tell you what. I'll make you an offer as follows. After I put S2 in I'm going to the Dyno. If you want, I will do 3 pulls as follows:
S2 + K&N stock
S2 + K&N Macster MOD
S2 + your design

The deal is I will publish the results for all to see, and if yours out performs the other two, I get to buy it for 60% of your cost.

One more thing, if you change the cone on the K&N to one open ended one like you are using, the out come will change or at least be very close. I'll share a secret the open end cones open up the mid range HP and bottom end torque. So you won't be able to leave him off the line and at 20 and 60MPH like you used to.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 23 Jan 2004, 06:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

macster, you have my phone # lets talk.even though I was not planning on making any more amx1397 turbo up air intakes maybe i will make just one more. and re name it to ( BRAND NAME)
Old 23 Jan 2004, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

cool info!!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 08:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by amx1397

macster, you have my phone # lets talk.even though I was not planning on making any more amx1397 turbo up air intakes maybe i will make just one more. and re name it to ( BRAND NAME)
Not a problem, when S2 comes out, we will do what it takes to get this done in time for the dyno run. Uhhh, we need to get rid of that nomenclature ( BRAND NAME) how about calling it Brand X? It has nice a ring to it huh?

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 24 Jan 2004, 12:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Amx

why arent you going to make your pipes anymore ? Havent really been on here for a couple of days but I did see one of yours on e-bay is that the last one
2003 Dream cruiser 2 #1434

mopar bov and k&n drop in filter ,billet shorty antenna, silencers removed, custom painted rear shelf that says\"Dream Cruiser II\"and maybe, doubtfully soon------stage 1
Old 24 Jan 2004, 01:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Skeeter, I was making a cold air turbo up intake system, the cost was 150. = shipping and that is high( so was my cost ) i made them on a one on one . for each person, now i am making the turbo to factory air box 3" piping, the turbo up works great but does let you here all of the turbo and blow off valves, the down pipe is much quieter the turbo system went to the opening in the fenderwell the only air intake to do so this is one of the reasions it worked so well. for the people on the forum ( that is all of you ) that have helped me with some of the things i needed help with of course i will make the intake again. right now the down pipe seems to be what everyone thinks is the best and it is better than a intake that stops well before the opening in the fenderwell. Macster and I proved that.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 10:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Just ordered the AMX turbo to air box pipe in blue of course. I think this will prove to be the best solution to breathing we can get for 100.00. With the mod of cutting the elbow to wheel well in the inside of the box, taping the holes left(not many)with electrical tape, and the K&N drop in it will be a winner! 2.5 versus 3", no contest. I can not waite to get my paws on it!!!!! I think it is the forced flow of air from the wheel well, and to a little extent cooler temp that gets us our power, not to mention 3" pipe, should rock. Next, MSD coil and Firewires, new plugs gapped at ???????????

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 24 Jan 2004, 10:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LAF

Just ordered the AMX turbo to air box pipe in blue of course. I think this will prove to be the best solution to breathing we can get for 100.00. With the mod of cutting the elbow to wheel well in the inside of the box, taping the holes left(not many)with electrical tape, and the K&N drop in it will be a winner! 2.5 versus 3", no contest.
YUP! This is the one, provides everything. We figured it out, its the removal of the silencers that provide the extra HP, as for the size of the UP pipe (2.** or 3.**) it's what ever floats your boat.
But what holes are you talking about? If they are there, use the plastic door snaps (the ones with a hat) its a much neater install. When you do it, would you post an image of where the holes are at so that I can see em? I'm not too happy about cutting the box, but..... I have to see if that snorkel piece can be replaced just in case I have sell my car so that I can buy an 06 350HP Hemi PT.

macster