Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cold air?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2004, 09:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default cold air?

how important is cold air has anybody seen anything like this http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...27&prmenbr=361 would this be a good thing or a waste of money. another thing would it be a good idea to chang the pipe from the air box to turbo to increase flow but keep hot air out, or just buy an intake like k&n set up, where it might let in more hot air?
Old 25 Jan 2004, 10:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

I wonder if the air would even be in there long enough to warm up.

The bigger concern, I think, is the heat rising off of the head cover onto the intake manifold. I wonder if a heat shield there would make a difference, particularly since it is after the intercooler.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 11:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

i was thinking of that for the intercoller to intake they also have other things for heat control http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...61&cgrfnbr=636 these may also wok or help
Old 25 Jan 2004, 11:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

This cold air intake on the turbo GT is a bunch of crap until I see where the intake temp is lower with a cai compared to stock, all else being equal.
The intercooler is a heat exchanger and it can work both ways. Hot air moves to cold air. If the air traveling through the IC is warmer than the air traveling through the IC then heat will be drawn out and if the air is cooler then it will move to the IC or absorb the heat, not to mention the intake manifold.
The air has to travel through the turbo which heats up the air by compression then it travels through the down pipe which runs right next to the hot oil pan and to the IC and then to a hot intake manifold.
The best way to cool the intake charge is to pull the heat out from the air at the IC, a spray system water/alcohol(turbo toy), cryo and/or larger IC.
I also believe that if you were to ceramic coat the intake manifold inside and out then the intake charge would not absorb the heat as it would from a stock manifold, which could also be said for the rest of the intake system.
Sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents worth.

And on the subject of ceramic coating we could also benefit by coating our exhaust system inside and out, thus keeping the heat in the pipe speeding the flow of exhaust out the tail pipe.
Old 25 Jan 2004, 11:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

i know all that about compression heat and the trasfer of heat from out side sources ie turbo or warmer air but if you wrap the tube from the intercooler to the intake it would not absorb heat from the engine. also you are correct in the intercooler cooler the engine builder for the 25 t that my father and i own together has done some testing with running an intercooler in reverse like an evapator in a car cooling the air before it enters the carb. alot different and not worth the trouble lots of other issues with that system differenc in air temp before and after cooling etc....... coating the system would alo be great but $$$.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 12:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brngrhd

i know all that about compression heat and the trasfer of heat from out side sources ie turbo or warmer air but if you wrap the tube from the intercooler to the intake it would not absorb heat from the engine. also you are correct in the intercooler cooler the engine builder for the 25 t that my father and i own together has done some testing with running an intercooler in reverse like an evapator in a car cooling the air before it enters the carb. alot different and not worth the trouble lots of other issues with that system differenc in air temp before and after cooling etc....... coating the system would alo be great but $$$.
Again sorry for the rant and I totally forgot to reply to your actual question, not to mention I read your question wrong. The tube is rubber so I am not sure how this conducts the heat, but, since the tube is after the IC and heat is directed from the condenser and radiator directly onto it, this or any insulation would probably work, good idea!
Old 26 Jan 2004, 12:44 am
Cool Cruiser

read the post 3' cold air or 2 1/2 hot air and gain hp with correct answer.,this has been tested by Macster and myself (amx1397) and cold air means more hp, when you increase vol. your turbo doesn't have to work as hard that means it also runs cooler.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 02:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

sorry to be an a$$, but try the SEARCH option as this topic of cold vs. volume vs. stock has been beaten to death along with potentially every intake question, i'm sure you will find an answer to your question with in the previous posts
Old 26 Jan 2004, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

one of the big reasons i even brought it up was to show a new products and see what you guys thought.