Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wasn't a turbo whine after all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2004, 06:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Wasn't a turbo whine after all

Since having my BTG cat/back duals installed a week ago I've been noticing this high pitched whine under hard acceleration. The sound was definitely coming from pretty far forward in the car but I couldn't be sure what it was. I called Maier at PT Tuning and he had me bring it by so he could take a look. We went for a spin and he said it was a sound he'd never quite heard before, but thought that I actually had an exhaust leak. As he thought about it, he guessed it might well be the new clamp they use where the BTG system connects just behind the cat. He sent me back up the road to his installer where they determined Maier was dead right. A quick touch up and everything is perfect. Maier and Zev at PT Tuning were extremely helpful and generous with their time. If you get an opportunity to do business with them, I highly recommend you do so.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 06:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That's great, wish there were more folks around like that.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 29 Jan 2004, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

sounds cool !! there should be more people like that like irpt said!!
Old 29 Jan 2004, 10:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had trouble with that clamp also (I have BTG cat/back duals). When I installed it I thought I had that clamp tight but not so. Had to tighten it again. Really had to crank it down to get it to hold. Seemed odd to me that there is no hanger there. Wasn't one there on the stock system either.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange

Since having my BTG cat/back duals installed a week ago I've been noticing this high pitched whine under hard acceleration. The sound was definitely coming from pretty far forward in the car but I couldn't be sure what it was. I called Maier at PT Tuning and he had me bring it by so he could take a look. We went for a spin and he said it was a sound he'd never quite heard before, but thought that I actually had an exhaust leak. As he thought about it, he guessed it might well be the new clamp they use where the BTG system connects just behind the cat. He sent me back up the road to his installer where they determined Maier was dead right. A quick touch up and everything is perfect. Maier and Zev at PT Tuning were extremely helpful and generous with their time. If you get an opportunity to do business with them, I highly recommend you do so.
They sound like they really do care(getting sued) about their products(reckless endangerment)and customer wellbeing(lawers)[8]

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/473529
Old 03 Feb 2004, 12:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Could that joint be welded with better results??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 03 Feb 2004, 01:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

Could that joint be welded with better results??
The best thing to do would to be to get a nice stainless band clamp, like the stock exhaust has. You could drill the spot weld out and use the stock band clamp. It also won't crimp the pipe when you tighten it down. Just a thought.
Old 03 Feb 2004, 03:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quotetgtcb Posted - 02/02/2004 : 11:40:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best thing to do would to be to get a nice stainless band clamp, like the stock exhaust has
If I'm not mistaken BTG recently switched to a band clamp and that's where the problem was. They did do a bit of welding to eliminate the problem and it's just fine. We took a drive up the coast over the weekend and all I heard was that sweet rumble from the duals.
Old 03 Feb 2004, 03:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange

Quote:
quotetgtcb Posted - 02/02/2004 : 11:40:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best thing to do would to be to get a nice stainless band clamp, like the stock exhaust has
If I'm not mistaken BTG recently switched to a band clamp.....
I don't know what they call that clamp they supplied me, but it sure was not a band clamp. Anyway I am glad too see you are happy with your exhaust!
Old 03 Feb 2004, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quotetgtcb Posted - 02/03/2004 : 01:54:29 AM
I don't know what they call that clamp they supplied me, but it sure was not a band clamp.
Like I said, I could be mistaken (sure wouldn't be the first time) but I do know that they just recently changed the clamp. The guys that installed mine, who happen to be PT Tuning's regular installers, mentioned that mine was the first they'd seen like this.