Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

High side ac service port

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2012, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default High side ac service port

So alldata says the high side port is supposed to be on the reciever dryer, and the low side service port is in the suction line by the strut tower....low side? 10-4, right where they say it is. High side? nope...no service port on the reciever dryer...

Am I missing something? wheres the high side port?
Old 24 Mar 2012, 09:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: High side ac service port

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddywagon View Post
So alldata says the high side port is supposed to be on the reciever dryer, and the low side service port is in the suction line by the strut tower....low side? 10-4, right where they say it is. High side? nope...no service port on the reciever dryer...

Am I missing something? wheres the high side port?
So you haven't done the obvious and just followed the high side line down to and around the compressor and the lines down there? My N/A has the port just off of the compressor body. There have been differant a/c line configurations because of turbo, turbo related solinoids, etc. space constraints.

As I said, just "follow the yellow brick" lines.

Jerry
Old 24 Mar 2012, 10:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually I have done the obvious and "followed the yellow brick road" I've been doing this long enough that I have some sort of a clue.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Dorothy and I went out to the shop and took the pics below. They're looking straight down at the a/c compressor while following the line of sight down the passenger side of the radiator.

Note the black port cap.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.02 ac line port.jpg (54.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 1.03 ac line port.jpg (44.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 25 Mar 2012, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually, we've gone over this many times and a lot depends on the year of your PT. On the very early PT's like mine, both ports are right on the top lines next to the strut tower. Later years they moved the high side down to near the compressor and still further down in years (if I remember correctly from other posts) they did away with the low side port and what your seeing IS the high side.. As Jerry said, Turbos may be different and my information may be a bit off since my surgery. Seems like I've been away from the forums for a year and it's only been about six weeks.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 25 Mar 2012, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so I went back out and checked again because, well nobodys is pefect (despite the fact that some seem to think they are) and I have nowhere near that clear a line of site to the compressor (power steering reservoir is in the way) but after cramming my arm down there to try to move the harness for a better look I can say again there is no port. There is a sensor and a bolt that I thought may have been the cap before I got the harness out of the way, but no port.
Old 14 May 2012, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I really would like to explain to everyone how friggin FRUSTRATING it is trying to be nice and helpful and answer questions here, when the OP doesn't give enough info to actually find the right answer!

Let me add to this, @thebenm - this is not a place for social attacks on someone else's opinions. If you feel it necessary to call someone names, make rude remarks, or sound like a dumb@$$ yourself, then you need to do that via PM or go some other effing forum and vent your idiotic opinions there. This is a nice place, a good place to come for info, and while there can be frustration here, you ARE NOT the know-it-all, regardless of what you think. Do not begin a personal attack here, whomever you are, with your very first post. I'll be reporting your post to Crewzin and our Admin, as it's not appropriate for these forums!

Anyway, @paddywagon, I'm assuming you've got a pre-2006 model, so here's the illustration from the service manual:

While this drawing does refer to the high-side port, Crewzin is correct in the fact that this port is moved around for specific years and models. It's not always in the same place.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!

Last edited by Chromenut; 14 May 2012 at 10:02 am.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, hate to beat this to death but I have the same question as everyone else and I know that it's been answered many times but always in Technical language and no one seems to really understand or agree since there seems to be so many different versions of this assembly. I'm female and can usually figure out easy repairs like this should be, I just need to know if the caps are different colored and if so which one do I fill? I read in another forum that it's a blue cap?
I have a port with a black cap on the top of the engine close to the passenger strut tower (It would be to easy for that to be the one) skinny tube next to a fatter tube with no visible port on it. I was able to put my pressure gauge on it and it gave me a reading so I'm hoping that's the one I need to fill with R134 but if not what color is the cap that I need to fill, does anyone know?
I have a 2004 base model and there is a sticker that says R134 factory service only under the hood. If it really is factory service , can I take it to an a/c shop as opposed to the dealer?
Hopefully someone with the same model as mine has figured this one out already.
Thanks
Ali
Old 08 Oct 2013, 12:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: High side ac service port

I just got a 2009 PT Cruiser with 40,000 mi. and been looking for the High Port to recharge the AC system using my manifold gauges. Low port was easy, but the High was difficult. I found a port on the left side down below the radiator. Can't get my hand down there from the top so may need to jack up and g in from the bottom. When I spotted this port I thought this can't be it since it is in such a ridiculous location. Think hey place these ports to make it difficult to work on our cars. Only easy fix I found on a PT is replacing the thermostat, and putting air in the tires.

Thanks for the diagram, it confirmed my suspicion this was the High port.

Saint99
randyincctx likes this.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know this is an old thread, but for the sake of documenting for future searchers.... my 2001 PT Cruiser does not have a high side service port.

Of course, there is a service port that fits a high side manifold gauge hook-up, but it is downstream from the orifice tube and is actually low-side pressure.

I do not have another high-side port anywhere. The way I think this happened, is at some point the high pressure line from the compressor to the condenser has been changed, and a part from a later model was used. It would technically be interchangeable, but would leave the car without a high-side port for diagnostic purposes.