Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stuck throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2004, 03:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Default stuck throttle

today while driving 80km/hr, my throttle stuck as i was triing to stop at a red light, luckily i got the car stopped.

it was -10, i just came from the carwash.

I had the brake pedal mashed to the floor, once the car stopped the brakes were smoking, and a loud pop sound came from under the hood...

scary i must say...
Old 02 Feb 2004, 05:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Never gets that cold here so I can't relate. Maybe you shouldn't use the carwash when it's -10. Ice forms very quickly. Glad you got it under control. Could have been a lot worse.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Feb 2004, 09:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Sounds scary. Did you find out what caused pop sound?

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 02 Feb 2004, 01:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

been reading in the srt-4 forums that some srt's are having the same problem, and i also notice dc has recalled the durango for sticking throttle.
Old 02 Feb 2004, 03:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Punch, it could have been worst, check this out...

Woman's car takes her on 75-mile wild ride.
Police use cruiser to rein in runaway Pontiac in Colorado
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:12 a.m. ET Feb. 02, 2004
DENVER - A woman was shaken but unhurt after a wild, 75-mile ride at speeds over 100 mph that began when her brakes failed and her car accelerated out of control.
Police finally stopped the car on Interstate 70 in west Denver by getting a cruiser in front of it, slowing gently till their bumpers touched, then bringing both vehicles to a stop.
“It had a mind of its own,” 20-year-old Angel Eck said Sunday. The car “kept accelerating, and my foot wasn’t even down on the gas.”
Eck was westbound on I-70 in Limon Friday night when her 1997 Pontiac Sunfire began racing out of control. Nothing she tried would slow the car down.
She flipped on her hazard lights and dodged traffic while trying her cell phone, but she was out of her service area.
She nearly slammed into the back of a semitrailer and swerved off the highway three times to avoid hitting other vehicles, including one packed with kids, she said.
After about 45 frantic minutes, she was able to reach a friend on her cell phone. He called 911.
Police cleared the highway as Eck made her way across Denver. When it appeared they had no other options, officers Gary Ayers and Troy Bisgard decided to slow Eck’s car with their cruiser.
“It’s a dangerous maneuver. Had they misjudged, one or both cars would have sped out of control. It worked like clockwork,” said officer Kim Lovato, who worked with six other officers to stop the runaway car.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 02 Feb 2004, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

Next time throw it in nutral.. On older cars sometimes it does that and this is going to sound funny but if you hit the gas peddle hard a couple times sometimes it unsticks.. Hard to think about that when it's happening..

Or you could just hang on and have fun .. Then you have a legit excuse when the coppers pull you over.. [8)]
Old 02 Feb 2004, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Punch,

Scary stuff, thanks for the heads up.

Any chance to drop it into neutral?

Old 02 Feb 2004, 03:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PianT

Punch,

I was reaching for the shifter when it finally came to a stop, and yes when your in a panic, you don't thik straight.
Old 02 Feb 2004, 06:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PianT

Punch,

Neutral is a good idea. If all else fails, you can always switch the engine off. EDIT: Just make sure you don't turn the key to the position that locks the steering column.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 02 Feb 2004, 06:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Punch,
Glad you made it.
Do you think it was an ice condition? I mean I hydra mine in 10-15 degree temps but never in the engine bay directly, do wheel wells, under carriage, spare wheel and the car, use the soft "gray" water rinse at the end, never had this problem. I also don’t use my emergency brake in this slush either for fear of it freezing in the on position.

Did or could you post any links on the SRT-4 dudes having this same issue?

Man you are right, it takes a lot in a panic situation to maintain your thoughts.

I think I read somwhere for the Dakota recall.

This is kinda scary stuff. Dont want to be "chicken little" but did you call anyone? Just would want to get it on a service record. I am just wondering where the cable would freeze if that was the problem.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears