Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
btg exhaust noise......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2004, 07:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default btg exhaust noise......

i installed the btg cat/back over a week ago,sounds great except for one trip i made with wife,son and brother who tagged along,that night the drone was noticable.

is it possible because of the load i was carrying? that was the only time i noticed it...the other times when its only either me alone or with either/and/or my wife and boy,it's fine...
Old 04 Feb 2004, 08:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dbraveman

i installed the btg cat/back over a week ago,sounds great except for one trip i made with wife,son and brother who tagged along,that night the drone was noticable.

is it possible because of the load i was carrying? that was the only time i noticed it...the other times when its only either me alone or with either/and/or my wife and boy,it's fine...
I had the muffler in by itself and the drone was too much for me, it darn near drove me crazy. But my other hobby is listening to my audio system. So I may be bias somewhat. Anyway I reinstalled the stock muffler.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 04 Feb 2004, 08:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

What exactly is "drone"?
Old 04 Feb 2004, 08:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've had my BTG cat/back duals for about three weeks now and have made a couple of long freeway trips with it. I'd read comments about the 3000rpm drone, and I suppose the sound is a bit more noticeable there (roughly 80mph with my auto tranny), but even I don't think it's that bad, and I really didn't want much of an increase in sound level in the first place. To me, up to about 70mph or so I can barely hear it, even with the stereo off.

Did you have the diffusers put into the tailpipes? I didn't, but I understand that it will quiet things down a bit.
Old 04 Feb 2004, 09:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Did you have the diffusers put into the tailpipes? I didn't, but I understand that it will quiet things down a bit.
[/quote]

diffusers? i have no idea what is that...
all i can tell you is that the mechanic didn't reinstall that little metal rope thingy which i thought had to do with ground,i plan to put it back when i get the chance,is that what you're talking about?
Old 04 Feb 2004, 09:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rolo

What exactly is "drone"?
Drone to me is a constant annoying tone at a perceptible db level. Something like a 60cps hum, for example the noise that your refrigerator makes at night while you are trying to sleep.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 04 Feb 2004, 09:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Mike-in-Orange, I have had the BTG cat/back system for 6 weeks and love the sound. It is fine up to 70 mph driving normally but it is pretty loud when you really wind it out hard. Still music to my ears.
Old 04 Feb 2004, 10:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:dbraveman Posted - 02/04/2004 : 7:08:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
diffusers? i have no idea what is that...
all i can tell you is that the mechanic didn't reinstall that little metal rope thingy which i thought had to do with ground,i plan to put it back when i get the chance,is that what you're talking about?
No, the diffusers (and I could be using the wrong term[]) are the little trumpet looking pieces that can be spot welded into the ends of the tailpipes to reduce the noise level. They should have come with the exhaust kit, but are an optional install. I decided not to.

Drone. Rolo, Macster - OK, maybe today isn't my day for choosing the right words (been sorta busy, ya know??????). Let's just say that you can hear the exhaust note more readily at a constant 80mph than you can at 50mph. Is it annoying? Apparently to mcruz and yours truly, no. Perhaps dbraveman feels differently. If so, why not give the diffu...whatchamacallits a go? If you decide you don't care for them in they can be easily removed. If, on the other hand they're already in, I'm not sure what to tell you! On the other hand (what, you don't have three hands???), if you don't have those dif....thingamajigs, contact PT Tuning and let them know you didn't get them and you want 'em.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 12:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

Drones.. are those the little things that are on star wars attack of the killer drones? Man if an exhause makes those things that would be scarry.. [^]

Old 05 Feb 2004, 12:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dbraveman

That little metal rope thingy is a ground strap, very inportant! Put it back on ASAP. I would not call him a mechanic if he left a ground strap off. [xx(]

Drone; A continuous and monotonous humming sound. [:0]