Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2 more questions..noobe questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2012, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2 more questions..noobe questions..

2005 Touring Edition Turbolite 50k as of now...

1st question. When I did my own plugs and wires one of the plugs was oily..Im pretty sure it was on the threads, top part with wires were dry and the electric node (bttm was fine)..is that normal for these engines with turbo?..esp considering we have oil in the air box which is normal.. (my first turbo here)

2nd..after my research it looks like MOPAR doesnt sell the stage 1 upgrade anymore?..everytime I try to ask the service writers or parts people at the dealership I work at they dont really give me an answer, they just say ""why do u want to upgrade on a PT?"...and a few that say I have to worry about the engine and tranny handling it..Im going to them first cause I would really like a one stop process instead of back in forth with flashing and blah blah..is it getting harder to upgrade?...the techs I love because they are all about trickin out a fellow employees (or their own) cars...

After researching Im convinced that my car is a plug and play away from an upgrade in power and shifting..I dont want to do more than that..just spend a few extra bucks and have a FAST Barbie Car...thanks guys!
Old 16 May 2012, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2 more questions..noobe questions..

I'll let the Turbo guys answer on the upgrade part of your question. On the oil, NO, it's not normal and usually it means the rings are giving out on that particular cylinder, so the oil bypasses (I know all about a bypass ) the piston and coats the threads of the plug. Thing you should do is have a cylinder pressure test. All cylinders should have the same pressure, somewhere around 150-170lbs and if one, especially the one with the oil on the threads is low in pressure, you have a problem.
Old 16 May 2012, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a more likely problem witch is cheaper. The seals on the valve cover (the o ring on the spark plug tube) Let oil in around the plug and run down the plug as you screw it out. This problem is normal on hemi head engines. A valve cover gasket set will fix that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 May 2012, 07:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

I second what BustedPT said! If the seal in the valve cover is bad it will let oil in the chamber where the spark plug is! But to make sure I will check the compretion in the cylinder that way you are sure is the seal and not a mechanic problem. For the Stage 1 they dont make them anymore but there some guys that find some every now and then like XtrmDC2 he was the one that found mine for a Turbo lite just like yours! Send him a PM, he is a great guy and Im sure he can point you to the right direction! Good luck!!!
Old 16 May 2012, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Guys, I thought about the seals in the valve cover gasket but didn't think of the oil running down into the threads of the plug when you unscrew it. Was just thinking how oil would get onto the plugs. Good catch.

Old 16 May 2012, 08:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Guys, I thought about the seals in the valve cover gasket but didn't think of the oil running down into the threads of the plug when you unscrew it. Was just thinking how oil would get onto the plugs. Good catch.

When you unscrew it gives you only the impression that is from inside that's all but you can tell if is burning oil just by looking at the plug. I hope that the problem he has is the seal!!
Old 16 May 2012, 10:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Even cheaper; if it's #1 cylinder- the greasemonkey spills oil when he's filling the crankcase- Valve cover is shaped like a valley so it all pours in #1 s-plug well.

Clean it out best as possible and see if it re-occurs.
You can use braaklean or other dispersant to dry off wire.

THis occurs with water when people was engine, too.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm actually visiting New England on business this week. Closer to Boston than the Cape.

I purchase my Stage 1 from FWD Performance. They take PCM cores and convert them. It will take over two months to receive it after you place an order. It's well worth the upgrade, it's just plug and play. Plan on spending $300 with VIN programming.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:55 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: 2 more questions..noobe questions..

[```````

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 12 Jul 2012 at 06:08 pm.
Old 20 May 2012, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok I have a service contract with Chrysler for the next 4 years with 200 deductable so Ill have them look into it for sure!!!