PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
93 vs. 87 octane gas

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2012, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 93 vs. 87 octane gas

I have a 2005 GT Turbo that I always run high octane in. Last week when I was almost on empty I stopped to gas up and mistakenly put in 87 octane. Much to my surprise I've had no pinging or detonation whatsoever. Even when I flog it. I was always told if your motor doesn't detonate or ping you do not need a higher octane you are wasting your money. Anyone else have this experience? I know if you can afford a GT you can afford the higher octane and all that stuff but I was still surprised and wondering if my car really needs it even though my manual says 91 or higher.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 93 vs. 87 octane gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburrey View Post
I have a 2005 GT Turbo that I always run high octane in. Last week when I was almost on empty I stopped to gas up and mistakenly put in 87 octane. Much to my surprise I've had no pinging or detonation whatsoever. Even when I flog it. I was always told if your motor doesn't detonate or ping you do not need a higher octane you are wasting your money. Anyone else have this experience? I know if you can afford a GT you can afford the higher octane and all that stuff but I was still surprised and wondering if my car really needs it even though my manual says 91 or higher.
Yes you should It will carbon up and cause you some issues down the road. 02 sensors can act up as a result as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jun 2012, 09:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

You're not getting any "noticeable pinging (knock), because your "knock sensor" is doing its job. When it senses the onset of knock it retards your timing, reduces fuel and lowers boost levels and thereby eliminates the knock that you would normally get in a car that didn't have a PCM with a knock sensor to control knock. It has two levels, "Short Term Knock" and "Long Term Knock". "Short Term Knock" is sensed the first time or two that the pcm sees knock because of the bad gas or whatever other reason that might cause it. "Long Term Knock" comes into play when the knock has shown up several times in a row for whatever reason. Those events are stored in your PCM.

The bad part of this situation is that as a result of the retarding of the timing, reduced fuel and reduced boost is that you are loseing power everytime it does it and it will be doing it all the time you are driving, you just don't know it. Probably not enough to make you say WTH, but in some situations, like going up a steep hill or just going WOT, you will probably get a noticable reduction in horsepower and torque.

Like I said above, you're losing power, but not knowing it.

If I were you I would put a can of something like "104 Octane Booster" in the tank to make better use of whats left in the tank and go back to the GOOD STUFF as soon as you can.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 29 Jun 2012 at 02:15 pm.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 09:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

X2, and retarding is bad in other ways.

If it's extremely cold, you can likely get by, at least on high compression N/A's

Octane booster does about nothing, take it EZ, use RPM instead of throttle
Old 26 Jun 2012, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys. I will make sure I run the good stuff in the future.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

I ran mine on 87 for about 4 years ! >>> not a big difference,, but up here in Canada we have to run a clean air test every two years, anticipating a better result, I've put maybe 3 fillups of Highest Shell Nitrogen 91 octane, and it's like a thoroughbred ! Lots and Lots of pull, and torque and better mileage if you ask me.. It's worth the extra $ plus you pay less in the states for fuel,, so go to it, enjoy what you have .
wingman55 likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife has been running 87 octane in her 2003 GT for over 11 years now with no noticeable problem. Once in a blue moon if I'm using it I'll put 91 octane premium in it but that might happen once every two years.

At 18-19 mpg she just goes with the less expensive gas from a Top Tier certified brand.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm
Banned

Cool Re: 93 vs. 87 octane gas

````````

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 12 Jul 2012 at 05:46 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have a 2005 GT Turbo that I always run high octane in. Last week when I was almost on empty I stopped to gas up and mistakenly put in 87 octane. Much to my surprise I've had no pinging or detonation whatsoever. Even when I flog it. I was always told if your motor doesn't detonate or ping you do not need a higher octane you are wasting your money. Anyone else have this experience? I know if you can afford a GT you can afford the higher octane and all that stuff but I was still surprised and wondering if my car really needs it even though **my manual says 91 or higher.

**This should help answer your question although you kind of already did?

Here is one of many informative write ups on this subject.

Regular or Premium?

Regular or Premium? - Feature - Car and Driver

If you get caught in a situation that you must use a tank full of lower octane fuels it is not likely you would do any engine damage as long as you drive normal. What ever that means?

Do octane boosters really work?

Octane Booster | Fuel Tech Experts

Whenever I do a scope in someones cylinders I can always tell when someone has used lower octane fuels. Its never a good sight!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
I ran mine on 87 for about 4 years ! >>> not a big difference,, but up here in Canada we have to run a clean air test every two years, anticipating a better result, I've put maybe 3 fillups of Highest Shell Nitrogen 91 octane, and it's like a thoroughbred ! Lots and Lots of pull, and torque and better mileage if you ask me.. It's worth the extra $ plus you pay less in the states for fuel,, so go to it, enjoy what you have .
Like you in Canada here in California we also have a bi-annual emission test requirement.
Just an FYI if you want a better emission reading change at least your engine oil and filter the day of and just prior you do your test. Oil has one of the biggest effects on emission readings. That nice Honey color oil that turns dark is not because its dirty but by the un-burn petroleum fuel that gets past the piston rings.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN