PT Cruiser Forum

PT GT 03 Radiator Fan Solution

Like Tree4Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2012, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT GT 03 Radiator Fan Solution

For all of you plagued by a failed radiator fan on your GT.

My GT 03 was overheating terribly and the culprit seemed to be a failing radiator fan. The replacement from the dealer costs in excess of 600€ and healthy second-hand radiator fans are nowhere to be found especially since the GT needs a rare 4Pin connector. So I decided to experiment with a used Mercedes radiator fan that had a 4pin connector and shared the exact same fan motor. Mind you that the Mercedes fan assembly is much more popular and I managed to get a healthy used one for 180€.

Then all I had to do was to keep the original fan blades, switch the motor and connector and it worked like a charm!

A few things to note:
1. This solution applies to a GT 03 Auto. Can’t say if it will work for others.
2. You need to keep the failed radiator fan assembly. Don’t throw it away!
3. My GT 03 had a radiator fan with a BOSCH motor with part number 1137328108. Mind you, this is the motor part number not the fan assembly part number.
4. The Mercedes W211 Fan assembly with Part Number 2115001693 has an identical BOSCH motor to the fan motor in the GT, with part number 1137328108.
5. The Mercedes fan module does NOT fit the GT as is. Only the motor and connector are identical. So split the failed GT fan assembly open, scrap the failed motor, put in the motor from the Mercedes part and you’re done. Even the connector cable length is identical.

Apparently, the DaimlerCrysler relationship did have some benefits.
Now off to fix that mysterious power leak from the car battery…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Cruiser GT 03 Radiator Fan Motor.jpg (95.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes Radiator Fan 2115001693 #1.jpg (89.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Mercedes Radiator Fan 2115001693 #2.jpg (87.2 KB, 89 views)
Old 13 Jul 2012, 02:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: PT GT 03 Radiator Fan Solution

Good info...btw, how much was it?
Old 14 Jul 2012, 02:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Good info...btw, how much was it?
180 euros = 220.3200 US dollars
Old 15 Jul 2012, 04:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Kpapagian

How many miles were on your 03 PT GT when the fan failes? also do you tend to do more around town driving or highway, curious because the fan work a lot harder for around town stop and go.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
Old 15 Jul 2012, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapagian View Post
For all of you plagued by a failed radiator fan on your GT.

My GT 03 was overheating terribly and the culprit seemed to be a failing radiator fan. The replacement from the dealer costs in excess of 600€ and healthy second-hand radiator fans are nowhere to be found especially since the GT needs a rare 4Pin connector. So I decided to experiment with a used Mercedes radiator fan that had a 4pin connector and shared the exact same fan motor. Mind you that the Mercedes fan assembly is much more popular and I managed to get a healthy used one for 180€.

Then all I had to do was to keep the original fan blades, switch the motor and connector and it worked like a charm!

A few things to note:
1. This solution applies to a GT 03 Auto. Can’t say if it will work for others.
2. You need to keep the failed radiator fan assembly. Don’t throw it away!
3. My GT 03 had a radiator fan with a BOSCH motor with part number 1137328108. Mind you, this is the motor part number not the fan assembly part number.
4. The Mercedes W211 Fan assembly with Part Number 2115001693 has an identical BOSCH motor to the fan motor in the GT, with part number 1137328108.
5. The Mercedes fan module does NOT fit the GT as is. Only the motor and connector are identical. So split the failed GT fan assembly open, scrap the failed motor, put in the motor from the Mercedes part and you’re done. Even the connector cable length is identical.

Apparently, the DaimlerCrysler relationship did have some benefits.
Now off to fix that mysterious power leak from the car battery…
Do you have fog lights?

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggert_LOA View Post
180 euros = 220.3200 US dollars
Where can I get one?
Old 17 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I have fog lights. I don't think they are guilty for the power leak but I will check anyway, thanks
My GT had 56k miles when the fan failed.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick sincere Thank You for sharing your discovery of an alternate source for this rare and expensive part. My wife's 2003 GT Turbo is throwing a P0480 code, and all the info I could find points to the fan motor.

While several sellers on Ebay claim that their $100.00 aftermarket replacement is compatible, I insisted on seeing a photo of the connector. In all cases the connector is the 4-pin but one of the 4 pins has no wire connected to it.

I researched it and found that the missing wire connects to the ASD relay as an alternate 12v (+) feed. While I don't pretend to understand how the PT's computer coordinates the signals it sends & receives, I decided to replace the motor with an identical Bosch unit to avoid potential computer errors. I don't want to risk doing all that work then having the Check Engine light come back on.

I just found the Bosch motor on Ebay with the Best Offer option- got it for $125.00 delivered. I'll post an update after it arrives & I install it.

Thanks again.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcapp99 View Post
Just a quick sincere Thank You for sharing your discovery of an alternate source for this rare and expensive part. My wife's 2003 GT Turbo is throwing a P0480 code, and all the info I could find points to the fan motor.

While several sellers on Ebay claim that their $100.00 aftermarket replacement is compatible, I insisted on seeing a photo of the connector. In all cases the connector is the 4-pin but one of the 4 pins has no wire connected to it.

I researched it and found that the missing wire connects to the ASD relay as an alternate 12v (+) feed. While I don't pretend to understand how the PT's computer coordinates the signals it sends & receives, I decided to replace the motor with an identical Bosch unit to avoid potential computer errors. I don't want to risk doing all that work then having the Check Engine light come back on.

I just found the Bosch motor on Ebay with the Best Offer option- got it for $125.00 delivered. I'll post an update after it arrives & I install it.

Thanks again.

Did this work?
Old 24 Mar 2014, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT3 View Post
Did this work?

PT3, He didn't receive it yet so he can't tell you if it worked or not. Read his post.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Closed Thread