PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
mods on an autostick?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default mods on an autostick?

So as some of you know, I purchased a 03 GT autostick not too long ago planning on not doing mods but a guy can't help it so far I have a rice plate, k&n drop in filter, and removed intake silencer. My future plans I would like to do are 04+ injectors, compsite upper intake manifold, trim intake snorkel, better plugs, plug wires and distributor(don't know what kind yet, I haven't done research) and possibly getting a dsp.

I keep reading more and more that the autostick can't handle anymore power than the car already has. Should I just forget about doing these things? I don't want to be rebuilding transmissons.

Also, when in autostick does the car accelerate faster? I feel like mine is slower vs. Just in drive but I'm not for sure. Just thought I would ask.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: mods on an autostick?

There is a general WARNING about DO NOT use 4th in boosted range. Which make sense given how tiny the clutch disc's are and that 4th OD is under the most load.
I have not been able to find out much about what was done in the past to upgrade the internals to a heavy duty level? The guys I know that are in the Performance Transmission business I know won't touch them.

I looked at a schematic of the transmission....It does not look good. It is not as simple as simply adding more disc's because the cage can not hold them. Usually I would machine it to except more disc's in transmission that I wanted more holding power but I am dubious there is room to do it to the PT tranny. That may be why no one had really successfully upgraded a PT AT?

If the transmission is working properly it is hard to beat, the programmed shifts verses manual mode shifting in straight line acceleration trials. Now if you are auto Xing or in the back roads with a lot of twisties then the manual shift mode may be a better choice?

I do recommend that you do a service on the Auto transmission before you start to sport drive your new PT.

Oh and lastly here is a company that has really "KOOL" shift knobs for the autostick!

WHITE ETCHED SHIFT KNOB FOR 5 SPEED MANUAL GEAR SHIFTER LEVER SELECTOR M12X1.75 items in AUTOPROSWAREHOUSE store on eBay!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jul 2012, 03:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have owned nothing but standards and this was my first auto. I got it because there were no standards for sale within a 300 mile radius of my area. I found this one and its a nice car but it sounds like I need a standard to fullfill my petrol head ways
Old 23 Jul 2012, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That depends on what you define "I need a standard to fullfill my petrol head ways" means?

My last Auto stick car ran 9.90 @ over 165MPH I was capable of running in the 7's but much harder on the engine$$
Mind you it was a NHRA S/G 1900lb Camaro but none the less you get the point........

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jul 2012, 05:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well I would like to have all the mods I listed and stage 1 (forgot that in the list) and not have to worry about about my transission.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 09:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: mods on an autostick?

If u want to push more power by all means go for it, yes the auto trannies on our cars are weak they'll break even if u don't have any mods at all lol so if it's gonna break anyway might as well be because u have one wicked fast pt haha. There really isn't anything u can do to make the tranny stronger but the mopar stage 1 kit will upgrade ur tranny software to give u much better shift by adjusting the shift points and eliminating the shift burb while at the same time giving ur car some decent power. If u want to modify ur pt u don't have to go all out or spend a lot of money. Look at my mod list I have an 05 GT Autostick and I've got a ton of mods and haven't had any issues with the tranny at all. And I beat the crap out of it sometimes too trannys been holding up.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
If u want to push more power by all means go for it, yes the auto trannies on our cars are weak they'll break even if u don't have any mods at all lol so if it's gonna break anyway might as well be because u have one wicked fast pt haha. There really isn't anything u can do to make the tranny stronger but the mopar stage 1 kit will upgrade ur tranny software to give u much better shift by adjusting the shift points and eliminating the shift burb while at the same time giving ur car some decent power. If u want to modify ur pt u don't have to go all out or spend a lot of money. Look at my mod list I have an 05 GT Autostick and I've got a ton of mods and haven't had any issues with the tranny at all. And I beat the crap out of it sometimes too trannys been holding up.
Very nice mod list! Looks like you have a lot of things done that I want to do to mine. I don't run my car much but when I see someone asking for it I just can't help myself and I would like to be at 240+hp without worrying. I take very good care of my cars and with this one I plan on being even better so there will be absolutly no issues with poor maintnance. I have just been getting scared from people saying "any power added to a autostick will cause the transmission to fail"
Old 24 Jul 2012, 10:23 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Well, not for nothing they call the PT's auto tranny "the slushbox"
Old 24 Jul 2012, 10:53 am
Regular Cruiser

NicksCruiser,

Do you have a video of what your car sounds like with the muffler delete? I have thought about doing just that because I love the sound but I hate the sound of an automatic with an exhaust, but mainly the only things I have heard auto with a exhaust are honda's so they don't sound too good of course
Old 24 Jul 2012, 10:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Well, not for nothing they call the PT's auto tranny "the slushbox"
:'( I have also been thinking about just driving my pt until I get out of school, one more year, and then once I get my career started get either a standard GT or a neon or caliber SRT4