Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
boost gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2004, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default boost gauge

i've connected mine by putting a t off the manifold via the brake booster line...now has anyone else done this or any thoughts or ideas on this location good or bad? any recommendations? my car stock was reading 8lb spike in 1s and went right down to 4/5 lbs 2-o/d the gauge spikes at 10/11 lbs but bleeds right down to 5/6 lbs..now with mbc it's spikes around 13/14 but is holding at 10/11 lbs...
Old 16 Feb 2004, 12:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I connected mine to the same place and it works great. 18-19 In-Hg at idle 8-12psi while jumping on it (Stage 1).
http://connect.to/YBT
Old 16 Feb 2004, 09:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by isthatfuny

i've connected mine by putting a t off the manifold via the brake booster line...now has anyone else done this or any thoughts or ideas on this location good or bad? any recommendations? my car stock was reading 8lb spike in 1s and went right down to 4/5 lbs 2-o/d the gauge spikes at 10/11 lbs but bleeds right down to 5/6 lbs..now with mbc it's spikes around 13/14 but is holding at 10/11 lbs...

That is a very, very, very, very, very bad place to tap into, as it provides vaccum assist for your brakes. If it goes, you'll be hard pressed to stop your car. The only thing that you should do is to install a hose clamp on the end where it goes into the brake boost housing. (That tip provided by AMX137) Tap some where else, but not there.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 16 Feb 2004, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by isthatfuny

That is a very, very, very, very, very bad place to tap into, as it provides vaccum assist for your brakes. If it goes, you'll be hard pressed to stop your car. The only thing that you should do is to install a hose clamp on the end where it goes into the brake boost housing. (That tip provided by AMX137) Tap some where else, but not there.

macster
There is no clamp holding the hose on to the nipple that comes off the manifold? I can pull this hose off the manifold very easily and a lot easier than trying to separate my tee fitting set up. I don't see how it is going to separate? If you use a plastic tee then it will melt from the heat comming off the turbo and this may fail. I used a metal tee NAPA p/n 715-1817 GM emission tee. The hose for the booster is also a large diameter and provides a excellent signal.
What happened to AMX?
Old 17 Feb 2004, 01:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Here is how I have my boost gauges plumbed.....
Old 17 Feb 2004, 01:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I used the one coming off the manifold.
I used a metal 3/8x3/8x1/4" tee and the fit is very tight. I don't think I could pull it off if I tried.
I get pretty accurate boost readings from this.
I usually top at 13 and change for boost on Stage 1.
I pull about 20in vac at idle.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 17 Feb 2004, 08:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

[/quote]
There is no clamp holding the hose on to the nipple that comes off the manifold? I can pull this hose off the manifold very easily and a lot easier than trying to separate my tee fitting set up. I don't see how it is going to separate? If you use a plastic tee then it will melt from the heat comming off the turbo and this may fail. I used a metal tee NAPA p/n 715-1817 GM emission tee. The hose for the booster is also a large diameter and provides a excellent signal.
What happened to AMX?
[/quote]

That hose thats goes into the top of the manifold is plastic after the rubber cap. The electric connectors that go to the coil are plasic, the PCV is plastic. That diode that sits on the back of the manifold has a plastic connector on it.

To the best of my knowledge nothing has happened to AMX. He should be on his way to the post office to mail us our up-pipes.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 17 Feb 2004, 01:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

I will try to get a pic but On the flat spot on the back of the intake manifold I drilled and tapped for my boost guage and it works great. if you use the pvc valve line it will get oil into the gusge,
I don't know about the brake line as never did that but if you have a boost controller you must clamp the line going into the power brake booster as when the boost goes above 18 it will blow off the brake booster line and you have little or no brakes.trust me i did that.
will post pic on ptcw.truckmoxie.com amx1397
Old 18 Feb 2004, 01:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by macster

That hose thats goes into the top of the manifold is plastic after the rubber cap. The electric connectors that go to the coil are plasic, the PCV is plastic. That diode that sits on the back of the manifold has a plastic connector on it.

To the best of my knowledge nothing has happened to AMX. He should be on his way to the post office to mail us our up-pipes.

macster
[/quote]Sorry for the confusion, the hose I was referring to was the brake booster hose comming off the manifold that I am using for my boost gauge. I originally used a plastic tee and when I came back after a few runs it was rubber like so I replaced it with a metal tee. And for amx1397, I ment what problems did he have to recommend not locating on that hose?
Since you brought up all that plastic, you can bet in a couple years it will all be falling apart due to the extreme heat. I see it all the time with the 750 & 850 v 12's. Baked!
Old 19 Feb 2004, 11:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

see where i drilled the intake manifold at ptcw.truckmoxie.com/amx1397/