Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Break in Thoughts Of Others,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2004, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Break in Thoughts Of Others,

When I did my 03 Sporty with cams, pistons, rings, mild porting, it only had 1200 miles on it. I did it in my dining room, me, a manual, and a XL list similar to this list for help.

This link is how I broke my own top end in. This guy is gonna bend you head a little. I also did this to the GT. Ride em like you stole em.

If you are not patient or have now interst just page down to you see the little drawing with 2 Red lines. That is cool!!! Then below is a great look at rods and bearings. Worth the read.

Note what is said of Turbo bearing break in.

Hope you guys and gals enjoy. This is what motor work is all about, picking what we do based on a lot of ways of thinking, and doing what we want to do with all the information we can get, and OUR comfort level.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/circular_logic.htm
Old 16 Feb 2004, 02:19 am
Young Cruiser

i agree with you. years ago i read a story on how to break in your car engine. it said to to warm up the engine then floor it thru the gears to 70 or75 mph dothis 25 times . the theory was this would break in the engine and if any thing was not right this would cause it to fail .while under warranty. a friend of mine years ago built race engins they warmed them up then took off at full throttle.sa that story says you got to understand how things work before you belive every thing that is said..that is very important on all these forms.i read that story on breaking in your car about40 years ago.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 02:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Rolo

Whoo! Bookmarked. Thanks for posting that. I always felt the way that he did in that reliability is first and has a positive impact on performance. (bikes, cars, and machine guns, anything mechanical really)

Old 16 Feb 2004, 04:23 am
Senior Cruiser

I remember a friend of mine buying a new Porsche back in the mid '80s. He asked the salesman at the dealership what the break in period was, how long he should baby it, etc. The salesman looked at him, puzzled, and said something to the effect of: Porsche road tests all of their cars before they leave the factory. Your car has already seen 140mph. There is no break in period, just drive it!

I believe Ferrari and Lamborghini also test drive each of their vehicles before they leave the factory, and they sure don't baby them right out of the box. Then again, they bring them back in and give them a pretty thorough going over to make sure everything is OK before they ship. At least that's how they used to do it, and I'm pretty sure the smaller high performance specialty makers still do.