Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad timing road trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2012, 03:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Bad timing road trip

I just got back yesterday from a 1400 mile road trip in my '03 GT with 90,000 miles. Unfortunately my timing belt broke during the trip and it cost me $1200 at the dealership to fix (including waterpump). The worst part is that it took them 5 days to do the job and they still didn't do it right. My GT is overheating at idle but the temp gauge is fine? Also the idle is a bit rough.

Anyways I spoke with the service managers at my local dealership and the one that did the work and I have been told that it will be fixed properly for no charge. I have an appointment to drop off my GT on Tuesday.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad timing road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyGT View Post
I just got back yesterday from a 1400 mile road trip in my '03 GT with 90,000 miles. Unfortunately my timing belt broke during the trip and it cost me $1200 at the dealership to fix (including waterpump). The worst part is that it took them 5 days to do the job and they still didn't do it right. My GT is overheating at idle but the temp gauge is fine? Also the idle is a bit rough.

Anyways I spoke with the service managers at my local dealership and the one that did the work and I have been told that it will be fixed properly for no charge. I have an appointment to drop off my GT on Tuesday.
Yep the dealer screws this up to. Sounds like you will eventually get it fixed. I wish the best of luck to you there. This is a prime example that the dealer is not necessarily the best option. Thank's PpeteyGT for posting this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Bad timing road trip

That's unfortunate to hear, hopefully you'll get it back soon. But remember to always keep up the regular maintenance on ur PT don't wait too long to replace the stuff u kno that breaks around 100k miles.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
That's unfortunate to hear, hopefully you'll get it back soon. But remember to always keep up the regular maintenance on ur PT don't wait too long to replace the stuff u kno that breaks around 100k miles.
Thanks Nick. The ironic thing is that I had already ordered the GATES Part # TCK265ARB from RockAuto Auto Parts and was planning on having my local mechanic install it (and a Mopar waterpump) after this trip for almost half of the dealership price. Pardon the pun but this breakdown was bad timing. Oh well shit happens.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 09:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cool Re: Bad timing road trip

Yea this is true I mean look at me I had to rebuild my motor and turbo within a months time, smh
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yep the dealer screws this up to. Sounds like you will eventually get it fixed. I wish the best of luck to you there. This is a prime example that the dealer is not necessarily the best option. Thank's PeteyGT for posting this.
Thanks Busted and you make a valid point. As a follow-up my local dealership took 2 1/2 days to sort it out. Apparently the other dealership installed the wrong tensioner. Also the timing was off 3 which would explain the rough idle. As if this wasn't bad enough they also didn't bleed my cooling system properly which explains the overheating.

By the way the local dealership broke my power steering reservoir when putting everything back together and had to put in a new one.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyGT View Post
Thanks Busted and you make a valid point. As a follow-up my local dealership took 2 1/2 days to sort it out. Apparently the other dealership installed the wrong tensioner. Also the timing was off 3 which would explain the rough idle. As if this wasn't bad enough they also didn't bleed my cooling system properly which explains the overheating.

By the way the local dealership broke my power steering reservoir when putting everything back together and had to put in a new one.
Well I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hope your back to normal cruise'n.I hope this is a light for those who think the dealer knows best while wondering whats wrong with there car.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com