PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad timing road trip

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2012, 03:40 pm
PeteyGT's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 338
Default Bad timing road trip

I just got back yesterday from a 1400 mile road trip in my '03 GT with 90,000 miles. Unfortunately my timing belt broke during the trip and it cost me $1200 at the dealership to fix (including waterpump). The worst part is that it took them 5 days to do the job and they still didn't do it right. My GT is overheating at idle but the temp gauge is fine? Also the idle is a bit rough.

Anyways I spoke with the service managers at my local dealership and the one that did the work and I have been told that it will be fixed properly for no charge. I have an appointment to drop off my GT on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:18 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,843
Default Re: Bad timing road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyGT View Post
I just got back yesterday from a 1400 mile road trip in my '03 GT with 90,000 miles. Unfortunately my timing belt broke during the trip and it cost me $1200 at the dealership to fix (including waterpump). The worst part is that it took them 5 days to do the job and they still didn't do it right. My GT is overheating at idle but the temp gauge is fine? Also the idle is a bit rough.

Anyways I spoke with the service managers at my local dealership and the one that did the work and I have been told that it will be fixed properly for no charge. I have an appointment to drop off my GT on Tuesday.
Yep the dealer screws this up to. Sounds like you will eventually get it fixed. I wish the best of luck to you there. This is a prime example that the dealer is not necessarily the best option. Thank's PpeteyGT for posting this.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:27 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 368
Talking Re: Bad timing road trip

That's unfortunate to hear, hopefully you'll get it back soon. But remember to always keep up the regular maintenance on ur PT don't wait too long to replace the stuff u kno that breaks around 100k miles.
__________________
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2012, 07:55 pm
PeteyGT's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 338
Default Re: Bad timing road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
That's unfortunate to hear, hopefully you'll get it back soon. But remember to always keep up the regular maintenance on ur PT don't wait too long to replace the stuff u kno that breaks around 100k miles.
Thanks Nick. The ironic thing is that I had already ordered the GATES Part # TCK265ARB from RockAuto Auto Parts and was planning on having my local mechanic install it (and a Mopar waterpump) after this trip for almost half of the dealership price. Pardon the pun but this breakdown was bad timing. Oh well shit happens.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2012, 09:14 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 368
Cool Re: Bad timing road trip

Yea this is true I mean look at me I had to rebuild my motor and turbo within a months time, smh
__________________
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2012, 07:40 pm
PeteyGT's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 338
Default Re: Bad timing road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yep the dealer screws this up to. Sounds like you will eventually get it fixed. I wish the best of luck to you there. This is a prime example that the dealer is not necessarily the best option. Thank's PeteyGT for posting this.
Thanks Busted and you make a valid point. As a follow-up my local dealership took 2 1/2 days to sort it out. Apparently the other dealership installed the wrong tensioner. Also the timing was off 3 which would explain the rough idle. As if this wasn't bad enough they also didn't bleed my cooling system properly which explains the overheating.

By the way the local dealership broke my power steering reservoir when putting everything back together and had to put in a new one.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:08 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,843
Default Re: Bad timing road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyGT View Post
Thanks Busted and you make a valid point. As a follow-up my local dealership took 2 1/2 days to sort it out. Apparently the other dealership installed the wrong tensioner. Also the timing was off 3 which would explain the rough idle. As if this wasn't bad enough they also didn't bleed my cooling system properly which explains the overheating.

By the way the local dealership broke my power steering reservoir when putting everything back together and had to put in a new one.
Well I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hope your back to normal cruise'n.I hope this is a light for those who think the dealer knows best while wondering whats wrong with there car.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ROAD TRIP!!! Mandie PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 4 07 Aug 2011 05:47 pm
Going on a Road Trip with the PT bertone General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 25 Jun 2009 03:22 pm
ROAD TRIP! geronimo General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 12 Mar 2009 07:55 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors