Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Getting Pushed Around

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2004, 10:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Getting Pushed Around

Encountered some heavy cross winds the other day on the interstate. The GT cruiser was a handful to keep in one lane. I never had this problem with the '01 Limited with rear sway bar. Anyone else note a difference in windy conditions?
Old 19 Feb 2004, 11:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mel K

Encountered some heavy cross winds the other day on the interstate. The GT cruiser was a handful to keep in one lane. I never had this problem with the '01 Limited with rear sway bar. Anyone else note a difference in windy conditions?
Yep!!

The PT has more flat side surface area that many cars and without the rear end being tightly controlled it does get pushed around by wind. Just sit in a turn lane with car going past at 50 mph. The wind will move you around.

Yes, a rear sway bar will reduce the impact of side winds on the PT.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 04:43 am
Cool Cruiser

I have been through some windy conditions, but really can't feel the PT being pushed around by high winds. Maybe the rear spoiler on 04 GT's actually have a purpose [:I]?
Old 20 Feb 2004, 01:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I wrote about this when I first got my PT Turbo. I was at the time traveling to Las Vegas from LA.
I found that the problem gets MUCH worse when the car is loaded.

I was lucky enough to have a dealer that cares...put on the bar for free.

WOW! What a difference in handling.

Along with outsourcing the production of parts for Chrysler autos and trucks, Daimler-Benz thought it important to remove unwanted items from our PTs like, the rear sway bar, the cargo net, the second horn, interior lights, and probably things internally that we will only find out with time. The deletion of the sway bar was a COST saving decision much as Ford's decision years back to keep the gas tank in the Pinto in a dangerous location. They are in business to separate you from your money, and give you the very least in return. Let the buyer beware in this stock price driven, boardroom decision making market.[:I]

Forget the cost; put in the sway bar, get the second horn installed...save your life in the next tight situation that happens when you least expect it!

These are safety issues that you should not ignore![:X]
Old 20 Feb 2004, 01:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

Forget the cost; put in the sway bar, get the second horn installed...save your life in the next tight situation that happens when you least expect it!

These are safety issues that you should not ignore![:X]
I agree with Kirby on the safety issue

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

I was in very high winds going to Palm Springs a few weeks ago. For those unfamiliar, it is so windy out there that they have erected huge "wind farms" that generate electricity. Anyhow, I had no problems at all. I was really expecting a wrestling match but I could only feel the biggest gusts, and even then it was no fight. After reading this I would say that the difference may be the H&R springs I have installed. They make the car handle much better.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:53 pm
insane1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mel K

sorry to post hog, but what grill is that and how do you rate it???

thanks
Old 21 Feb 2004, 12:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

I was in very high winds going to Palm Springs a few weeks ago. For those unfamiliar, it is so windy out there that they have erected huge "wind farms" that generate electricity. Anyhow, I had no problems at all. I was really expecting a wrestling match but I could only feel the biggest gusts, and even then it was no fight. After reading this I would say that the difference may be the H&R springs I have installed. They make the car handle much better.
That is why we after market springs in, isnt it? Mine is stock suspension wise and I have not had much trouble in moderate winds, but from what is said here I should put on rear anti-sways!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 05:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

I haven't noticed any problems during windy days. My GT is lowered with Eibachs and I noticed it handled much better after install. Before being lowered however I did notice my GT did get blown around a bit. In fact I told my wife and she laughed and said she had no problem in her '01 PT because it was lowered with Eibachs (which I had installed when the car was mine). The following week I had Eibachs installed on my GT. [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 21 Feb 2004, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gothic Gentilman

i just got my GT Cruiser 04 about a month ago and just the other day i was a light in the turn lane and a car came by at i would say around 45 mph and i felt my pt move around more then i would like. at the time however i had the rear sets removed so maybe the that played a factor in it. and it is still all stock. nothing added ..... yet.
just thought that i would bring it up.
gothic gentilman