Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
transmission problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2004, 12:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default transmission problem

this morning,for the second time since driving this car(1.5 months)
my tranny was stuck on first gear..by the time i was on the highway and noticed that it would definitely not shift,got out the next exit,stopped and it inmediately turned off...i then turned it back on,then drove of as if nothing happened...
anyone got an idea or had a similar experience?
Old 21 Feb 2004, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did you WOT to redline see if it would go on its own? Was it cold? Fluid good? Smell anything burnt when you checked it, or when you stoped?

Just asking for info is all.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 21 Feb 2004, 02:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LAF

Did you WOT to redline see if it would go on its own? Was it cold? Fluid good? Smell anything burnt when you checked it, or when you stoped?

Just asking for info is all.
no wot,didn't want to take chance...
yes,cold,i didn't properly warm up...
honestly,didn't check fluid levels...
no burning smells...

i barely have 1500 miles on this,so ckecking fluid levels was not my first reaction.
btw i 'm scheduled to bring in my pt next wed so i'm sure i'll bring this subject up..
Old 21 Feb 2004, 06:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dbraveman

this morning,for the second time since driving this car(1.5 months)
my tranny was stuck on first gear..by the time i was on the highway and noticed that it would definitely not shift,got out the next exit,stopped and it inmediately turned off...i then turned it back on,then drove of as if nothing happened...
anyone got an idea or had a similar experience?
My 97minivan was doing this. I ended with a new (Mopar rebuilt) tranny. I would have it checked.

macster

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 21 Feb 2004, 10:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

the trans went in to limp mode there will be a code stored. limp mode is a "safe" mode where you only get 2nd and reverse. have it checked.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 01:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs

I had something similar which led to constant stalling, followed by the trans completely siezing. Definitely get it checked ASAP.

good luck!

The Philadelphia Flyer
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:29 am
Young Cruiser

Check your fluid first, these trans are very sensitive and will go into limp mode very easyly. My friend had an older chrysler van that leaked, and it would do this when the fluid was too low.
03 PT GT Turbo 41TE Autostick Electric Blue
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Turbo Tommy

Check your fluid first, these trans are very sensitive and will go into limp mode very easyly. My friend had an older chrysler van that leaked, and it would do this when the fluid was too low.
fluid is fine..
what would be the signs of it running on limp mode?

today,aside from it stalling twice this morning,i noticed some friction down under at high rpm..i don't know man,i'm scared..luckily i had set a check up date for tomorrow for some other minor issue(vibration at 80 mph) so hopefully something will be done about this bigger problem..
wish me luck
Old 25 Feb 2004, 12:02 am
Young Cruiser

I am not sure what you mean by a friction down under? Could you give a better description? As for stalling, it shouldn't do that. when does it stall, upon shifting into gear from park or neutral? Check your codes with the check engine light,

Go turn the key to the on (do not start just light the dash lights) off, on, off, on

to recap, on-off-on-off-on

and watch the readout for the odometer, have a pen and paper, and write down the 5 digit codes it reads out, they should all start with a P.

Let us know what they are, and we can try to help. Gotta love chryslers smec III, it is nice to not have to pull out the scan tool to see these things.

Limp mode is 2nd gear and reveres only. It should turn on the check engine light.

On the engine, limp mode is full rich, very limited boost, and retarded timing, at least on the older chryslers. Don't drive that way too lonbg it will cause problems if you let it go.

Tom
03 PT GT Turbo 41TE Autostick Electric Blue
Old 25 Feb 2004, 02:13 am
Young Cruiser

it is hard to describe simply because its something i've never heard or felt before...when accelerating,i hear some deep grinding right under the gas pedal.
it's not on limp mode cause it does shift,although improperly,it just feels out of whack..
i tried the on-off procedure..didn't get anything

i'll just stop confusing all of us and hopefully tomorrow the guys who do this for a living will know and hopefully its something simple..
i'll let you guys know
thanks for trying,though