Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cam sensor keeps failing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2012, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cam sensor keeps failing

My daughter is having fits with her 2005 Turbo cruiser. She has replaced 3 cam sensors. When she put a new one on it works fine for about 10 minutes and then the error code comes up and it misses something horrible. We thought maybe the harness may have a bad wire and ordered one, about 12 bucks but wont be in till next week to find out if that is the problem. Any other suggestions? She is using our only car to travel to work and this needs to be remedied. The cost of having it in a shop is astronomical so I figured to try and help her solve it, but I am stumped. Any suggestions or a cure would be appreciated.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cam sensor keeps failing

They have a repair harness for that now? I would guess that is more than likely the problem. Might give the magnet a shot they can on rare occasions be damaged. Keep us posted.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Dec 2012, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What about the Camshaft sensor itself? Is she using one from the dealer or aftermarket store? Aftermarket sensors are know to fail, either from the start or a little while later. They may look like a genuine MOPAR part but the guts are inferior and will soon fail. Some would disagree but we've seen it more than enough times on this forum to know to only trust a MOPAR electrical/sensor part.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

She was using a aftermarket part from Autozone. 3 have been tried. I told her to take it back, cough up another 40 bucks for a Mopar. Hopefully it will fix the problem. We are putting in on tonight, Will reply to this thread if it fails, or if it fixes the problem after a few weeks. The others were not lasting a few days. She has had the timing belt replaced after the other belt failed about 30,000 miles ago. Had some engine work done, but it ran fine for over a year. Then this problem began.