PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine harness issue?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2013, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine harness issue?

ok guys, i got a 2004 touring turbo auto. for the past few months i have had a problem with random codes and the pt shutting off. well after replacing almost everything i finally found that the problem exist in the plug that connects to the ecu.

curious if anyone as ever had this problem.
if i hold in on the plug it will run. let go and it throws codes and dies.
including this pic of where i have to push to make run. any advice on a fix would be great.

also will a engine harness off any turbo auto work or just certain ones.

Old 13 Feb 2013, 05:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: engine harness issue?

Lose PCM plugs has been a common complaint, especially if the red tabs get broken which is easy to do. Years ago there was someone who made an aluminum, U-shaped strap that went across all the plugs and attached with one of the existing bolts on each side. You can't just order one anymore but it shouldn't be too hard to get a length of 1/8" x 1" aluminum from the homecenter and bend one up. You can also line the inside of the strap with some firm foam material to adjust the amount of squeeze.

Edit to add: The turbo vs the non-turbo harnesses are different because the array of sensors are different. The turbo deals with boost which the non-turbo doesn't see. Most of the components of the harnesses are similar but there are a few subtle differences.

Last edited by 2step; 13 Feb 2013 at 05:51 pm.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thats good info. does anyone have any pics of the strap. i was lookin and im pretty sure i can fab up something.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: engine harness issue?

Hi I'm new to the forum.

I'm having an issue with my wiring harness as well. Not that they are loose but what happened previously is we went and bought a refurbished computer from a highly recommended person because my other one was fried. When they pulled off the white wiring harness piece they found (what they think is brake fluid) in the bottom part it. It was in the white one only but as well as on the computer itself. Now yesterday we took it apart again and sprayed electrical cleaner on both parts it was still clean after we drove it awhile. I'm not driving it today because I'm tired of getting stranded because the car just shuts off on me randomly. Usually the check engine light comes on.

Any idea how this would happen? It's throwing all kinds of different codes out at me and my husband isn't sure what else to do. It runs fine for two days and then throws codes at me again. I've had 0700, 0562, 0613, 0888, (155, 168, not sure if these have other letters in front of them or not) U110C these are the ones I got yesterday when I was driving. I turned off the car because my gauges just turned off but my car was still running.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 09:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarrier2012 View Post
Hi I'm new to the forum.

I'm having an issue with my wiring harness as well. Not that they are loose but what happened previously is we went and bought a refurbished computer from a highly recommended person because my other one was fried. When they pulled off the white wiring harness piece they found (what they think is brake fluid) in the bottom part it. It was in the white one only but as well as on the computer itself. Now yesterday we took it apart again and sprayed electrical cleaner on both parts it was still clean after we drove it awhile. I'm not driving it today because I'm tired of getting stranded because the car just shuts off on me randomly. Usually the check engine light comes on.

Any idea how this would happen? It's throwing all kinds of different codes out at me and my husband isn't sure what else to do. It runs fine for two days and then throws codes at me again. I've had 0700, 0562, 0613, 0888, (155, 168, not sure if these have other letters in front of them or not) U110C these are the ones I got yesterday when I was driving. I turned off the car because my gauges just turned off but my car was still running.

Need Year & Model of PT and any previous work done for this issue before anyone can give you any real answers.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 17 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2004 automatic turbo charged pt......I'm the second owner to the car so I'm not sure what else was done to it before I owned it.....only thing that we replaced in it since I've had it was the ac/heater core, serpentine belt, spark plugs, o2 sensors just replaced recently I believe they were mopar maybe Bosch I'd have to ask the hubby he does all the work he can. Never touched the computer before.

We took it to his friend who is a mechanic who looked at the computer's voltage or whatever it is called I'm sorry I'm bad with the real names of things. It was only outputting 1 instead of the 5 it's supposed to so they pulled the plugs off to take out the computer and that's when they first noticed the liquid in the white connector. The computer was fried according to the mechanic and that's why we put in a new one.

I can't think of anything else that we replaced....oil change, filter and air filter as needed we try to keep it right around 3,000 because I drive far to work.
Old 17 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Someone, before you bought the car may have probed the female terminal with a probe that was to large and stretched it causing a intermittent connection.
Moving the outside connector moves the inside terminal creating temp connection.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 18 Sep 2014, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: engine harness issue?

It seems that issue may be gone now. I drove it a few days ago and was sitting in a drive thru when my idle gauge just dropped to zero. All my warning lights came on but the oil and gas and my other gauge apparently stopped working as well. My fuel gauge was the only one to work. Went to move and I was stuck in first gear. Then my odometer was flashing no bus (not a clue what that means). Drove it back to work. Same thing happened to my husband last night when he drove it because I'm too scared to get stranded on my way to work. Oh and there are no codes to read. Can't see anything fluid at pcm or the connectors anymore since my husband sprayed electrical cleaner on it to get rid of whatever the liquid ended up being.

Any suggestions?
Old 18 Sep 2014, 08:14 am
Senior Cruiser

I've had that happen to me after accidentally driving through a deep puddle after a hard rain. It didn't happen immediately, several hours latter. I shut the car down and restarted and by the end of the day all the guages and lights were back to normal.
Your loose connection may be causing it too. There are 4 connectors going into the PCM 2 are engine the other two probably go to the interior of the car and the instrument cluster.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 18 Sep 2014, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: engine harness issue?

When we looked at it last night the white connector went on without a problem. You could actually hear a slight air puff when he pushed it back in because we wanted to check to see if there was fluid there again and there wasn't......when he cleaned out the white connector previously he had a very hard time getting it back onto the pcm. We only took off the white and green connectors haven't touched the other two since we replaced the pcm about a week ago.

I'm reading other posts and trying to see what we can figure out on our own. I'm going to call the technican that I got the computer from and see if he thinks it's the computer that he sent us.

Not sure if anyone else has suggestions on why I'm getting that "no bus" on the odometer. and why my gauges aren't working etc....please read previous posts