Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 Turbo possible ECM problem...looking for suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2013, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 Turbo possible ECM problem...looking for suggestions

I have a 2004 Pt Turbo and it has been acting up. A few months ago it began "shuttering" as my wife describes it, when she was driving down the highway. It then faild to start after she pulled over. After a few minutes she restarted the car and we had it towed to a shop. They said the error codes were all "historical" and couldn't do anything about them. I hooked up an odb scanner and the codes at the time indicated a problem with injectors 1-4 if I recall correctly. The car drove fine for several weeks after...then the same thing. She shut it off and waited and the symptoms disappeared.
Fast forward to this weekend...I was riding with her and the car acts up...like it isn't getting fuel ala the injector problem. Idiot mechanic gives the same line that they can't do anything since it seemed to be running fine when we got it to them. Next day the airbag light comes on, note the engine light comes on every time it acts up. Drives fine but engine light and airbag light come on. Next the speedometer only reads up to 20 mph and it is over revving and not shifting properly.
Has the ECM gone bad? And is it possible to get one ordered programmed to the car that I can install?
I am fairly good at repairing cars but I don't want to run in the wrong direction and spend a bunch of cash on the wrong parts. Thanks for reading this short novel.