PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Attack of the MINI COOPER

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2004, 02:37 am
Cool Cruiser

The Cruiser GT is probably one of the cars that people misunderstand on 1/4 mile times. To date there is only one/or two magazine(s) that has tested the 1/4 mile times for a GT. Car and Driver rates it 7.2 secs 0-60 and 1/4miles at 15.7s with a 2003 GT AUTOMATIC. Most of the people in this forums have received quicker times than 15.7s bone stock (15.37s).

Another problem that seems to prop up is, there are no magazine times testing the manual getrac 5 speed gt's. Which has a faster 1/4 mile time than autos (DCX's estimate is 0.5s quicker). To this date its a mystery to get a 1/4 mile stock 5 speed getrac manual time.

03 and 04 models have different injectors and the 04's have approxiametly 5 more horsepower.

I believe JCW is dealer options for a Mini S and is covered under warranty. Stage 1 and Stage 2 PCM's for PT GT's are made by MOPAR (Dodge Division, owned by DCX) who also makes the stock PCM's, differnce is DCX doesn't like to warranty their own products (go figure). However, certain dealers still keep warranty on GT's with Stage 1 (Stage 2 isn't out yet). Stage 1 is NOT currently CARB certified, but you can pass smog checks. Stage 2 is slated to be CARB certified. The argument of testing top mini and top cruiser depends on the opinion of the person on what's considered modified and what's considered stock (i.e. all waranty coverage is considered stock OR who manufactures the items is considered stock OR price of the modification $5k for JCW on a mini, 1k estimate for a Stage 2 cruiser.)

Frankly, the opinons will be divided between the mini v. cruiser and people should just enjoy there car instead of paper racing or racing on streets.

Old 24 Apr 2004, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy

I believe JCW is dealer options for a Mini S and is covered under warranty. Stage 1 and Stage 2 PCM's for PT GT's are made by MOPAR (Dodge Division, owned by DCX) who also makes the stock PCM's, differnce is DCX doesn't like to warranty their own products (go figure).
It may be dealer installed, but it is made by MINI and can be ordered when you order the car. So it is NOT aftermarket.

But if you want to take aftermarket mods, there are plenty of modified S's on the roads.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 03:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Why does it have to be either or? We have a 5 speed GT and love it beyond words. And we are on the list to order a Mini Cooper S. My husband has of course driven a GT and has driven a Mini Cooper S. Our GT is for riding in style and comfort, and doing it quickly and loads of fun. We are buying the Mini S for my husband to drive to work. Now both cars have their own personalities and who cares what beats what as long as it makes you happy. Both cars are unique and have FUN written all over them. They will Both be a blast to own and drive. These arguments are such a waste. Sounds almost as bad as the G35 people we had on our site awhile ago. Lets all just love our cars and be done with it, huh?
Old 25 Apr 2004, 04:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ote69

a quarter mile in 6.9 sec????
umm would that be 0-60mph?
They are taking their top of the line model from Chrysler. Our top of the line model is the Cooper Works. According to Road and Track, the PT Cruiser Turbo does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and quarter mile in 15.7 seconds. The JCW does 0-60 in 6.4 seconds and the quarter mile in 14.7. According to all the magazines the JCW will beat the PT Cruiser in handling through the slalom by 3mph or more, braking by 10 or more feet, gas mileage by 6 miles per gallon.

If the car is modded, well than that is a different story since we can all mod our cars as far as we want. So stage I this or stage 2 that doesn't mean anything. Stock for stock the JCW has significantly more performance than the PT Cruiser on all factors. The fact that there are a million PT Cruisers out there, make them also loose on the exclusivity side of things. While the Mini had a few glitches in the first year or two of manufacturing, the problems are becoming nearly non-existant. Not bad for a car that was built brand new on a lot of untested parts and platform in 2002. Whereas the PT Cruiser is mostly a conglomeration of parts widely used throughout Chrysler. The only thing it looses to it is on price, whereas the JCW stock is about $3,000 more than the PT Cruiser. About 12% more in price. The PT Cruiser is larger, but most of us bought the Mini because of it's small size. If I wanted a big and roomy car, I would have gotten a Suburban (or to be BMW politically correct and X5). The Mini is holding it's value much better than the PT Cruiser. I only lost about 10% of the purchase price of my MCS after 1 year and 25,000 miles. Much better than the PT Cruiser, which loses at least 33% of it's value. I personally don't like the looks of the PT Cruiser, but to each his own. I think the Mini far exceeds the PT Cruiser GT on numbers alone, everything else is subjective.

Can't we all just be friends?
Ptsmoker
Old 25 Apr 2004, 05:58 am
Cool Cruiser

heh. The "JCW" Mini should hardly be considered a "standard" production model. Not to give more credit than is due but that's like saying a Saleen is a "standard" production model for the Mustang. The playing field is level at the base options we're unfortunately limited to. I don't think I'd be lying if I said we're all a bit jealous of being able to have solid performance package upgrades that can be found in the same paragraph with the words "Covered under the warranty".

It's easy to try and take a swipe at the PT for resale but honestly the Mini owes a LARGE thanks for holding it's value to nostalgia and being produced by a company that ha an interest in it's owners desires. Our styling does harken back to the old school hotrods that our Fathers and Grandfathers (and maybe even some of our dustier owners themselves ) souped up back in the 50's and 60's. That's the appeal of the PT mate. Same thing that attracts folks to the Mini really, it doesn't look like all the other "modern" style crap that's out on the road.

Personally I dig the Mini. And I'm fairly certain they're a blast to drive but I don't fit in 'em, most likely a deciding factor for my wife wanting one. As someone mentioned the U.S. is the land of the straightline. You're not saying much by claiming to out-corner us, hell we have to have 2 open lanes and forgiving curbs just to make a u-turn.

All the same in the spirit of friendly competition we'll be happy to meet ya at the strip.

Old 25 Apr 2004, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote: Originally posted by Beacon

heh. The "JCW" Mini should hardly be considered a "standard" production model. Not to give more credit than is due but that's like saying a Saleen is a "standard" production model for the Mustang.
Hardly a fair comparison. A Saleen model cannot be order from Ford at the dealer when you order your Mustang. Kind of silly to compare the two.

Quote:
quote: As someone mentioned the U.S. is the land of the straightline. You're not saying much by claiming to out-corner us, hell we have to have 2 open lanes and forgiving curbs just to make a u-turn.
The land of the straightline when it comes to two people sitting around shooting the breeze. But not in real life. Besides you're overlooking the very important fact that the MINI WILL beat a PT in a straight line also!

Old 25 Apr 2004, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Posted - 04/25/2004 : 7:15:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Beacon

heh. The "JCW" Mini should hardly be considered a "standard" production model. Not to give more credit than is due but that's like saying a Saleen is a "standard" production model for the Mustang.

Hardly a fair comparison. A Saleen model cannot be order from Ford at the dealer when you order your Mustang. Kind of silly to compare the two.

quote:
As someone mentioned the U.S. is the land of the straightline. You're not saying much by claiming to out-corner us, hell we have to have 2 open lanes and forgiving curbs just to make a u-turn.

The land of the straightline when it comes to two people sitting around shooting the breeze. But not in real life. Besides you're overlooking the very important fact that the MINI WILL beat a PT in a straight line also!

Actually, when you go to a Ford dealer, you can get a Saleen or even a Rousch. They are also covered under warranty. A little pricey, but definitely a "dealer" option since it is available through the dealer. But it is not a regular production car as the JCW is not. You have to preorder the JCW just the same.
As far as the MINI top of the line, it is directly comparable to the PT top of the line, just a tad slower is all. Look in the back of Car and Driver and you MINI guys will all see I am right.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was the one on the Mini board who started the posts about the JCW kit, which seems to be quoted a lot here. This was fun reading this post and a few others on this site. I wasn't aware that the enthusiasts following of this car was this great. I can tell you guys love your cars as much as we love our Mini's. The Cruiser is a pretty cool car in a lot of ways, not my for me, but I can see why a community has built up around them.

With that said, I think the JCW is a fair comparison against the GT. The JCW is not the same as the Mopar kits or the Saleen. It is a factory backed kit is CARB approved, can be ordered from any dealership and is installed and warrantied by BMW. The Mopar is not fully approved for CARB and the warranty is not always intact (dependent on the dealership and how far you mod it out). I love what Chrysler has done with the Mopar kits and they have really gone a long way in meeting the enthusiasts needs with some high quality equipment. The Saleen again, is actually installed by Saleen and the car can only be purchased at Saleen approved dealerships and can only be worked on at approved dealerships (only some Ford dealerships are approved for this). All Mini dealerships can install and work on the JCW kits. It is not as factory as the GT (i.e. you can only order it from the factory and cannot order it as a retrofit kit), but this is some weird way that BMW wants to do this. I think they are close cars (JCW and GT) and it will probably come down to driver skill, except probably a slalom, which the Mini will most likely win unless their is gross incompetencies on the Mini drivers part.

As far as modded cars goes, it is not a fair comparison. There is at least one Mini owner that has pushed his car to 300hp and is pushing his weight down to 1800 lbs. That is getting into Viper territory. While this is extreme, there is a whole host of people that are pushing 250hp in a 2500 lb car, which is at least 800-900 lbs lighter or nearly half a ton lighter than the GT. On the same token I would guess that there are people pushing the turbos on their GT to some pretty extreme levels. Either way, I think it is cool that there are people who really enjoy their cars, it makes driving and ownership all the more fun.
Old 25 Apr 2004, 11:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 026TB4U

been away form a while ,i like the looks of both cars.you either like the way they look or hate em.as for the mini it goes like snot . i have raced one of the super minis in calgary the other week made me work a lot harder than almost anything i have raced.but the gt still come out on top 3 car lengths . also raced a rx8 and a turbo miata they are no where near me the mini would have eaten them alive .like the mini love the cruiser.the best part is they are both sleepers. thats my two cents.[8)]
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:23 am
Dedicated Cruiser

greatgro, 4gazm, PTSmoker, nsanegt03 and dgszweda1, welcome to the forum!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki