PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Attack of the MINI COOPER

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2004, 09:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Heh.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 29 Apr 2004, 10:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just an fyi, motor trend mag has said that there are only 1500 kits being sent to the US at 5000$ per kit for the John Cooper redo. I love the mini guys spouting off about this add on but highly doubt if any of them will be able to get the JCW do to its limited availability. my whole point of even mentioning the JCW is that BMW is willing to warrenty it while DC will not for our stage kits. Also I have to laugh at the JCW kit $5000!!!! for what 40 hp.
steve[8)]
Old 29 Apr 2004, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

Man, there is a lot of anger in this world.
I like the mini, haven't driven one, but i'm sure my wife would like one. I'd personally go for the S or JCW. Like the styling.
Don't really appreciate the effort they went through badhing the PT and making blanket statements about owners.
My PT is not stock but it is a kick to drive. My friend has the S60R (300hp twin turbo Volvo, previous owned a 330Xi) and he got a kick out of the power the car had and it pulled as hard as his car.
Can't comment on the mini til I've driven one.
and i take offense that PT's are for old people and driving in the country.
I think all gens by the PT as well, it's customizable, you can run it stock or turn it into a beast, which only implies it's adaptability. Who gives a rats ass how well it holds in the twisties?
mini's may be unique now, but soon they'll be millions out there too.
Then they will get old, we will see if it has the same staying power as the original BRITISH mark. They drive a glorified BMW.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:57 am
Cool Cruiser

For those curious about the JCW kit: http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCoop...S+Tuning+Kits/ Interesting read, sure as hell wish we had a similar kit available for the GT in one spot rather than having to get pieces from hither and yon.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm very new to this, so please forgive my ignorance, but isn't the John Cooper Works kit for the Mini just a bolt-on super-charger with an upgraded cylinder head?

This isn't a true turbo right? It's a belt driven super charger right?

So the engine doesn't have some of the additional upgrades that the PT Cruiser GT has, like upgraded engine block assembly, crankshaft, and oil-spraying piston coolers. I'm not an expert here, I'm just trying to understand some of the things I've read here:
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2210a.shtml
And that were described at the Cooper Works site.

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 21 May 2004, 12:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

The JCW kit is an upgrade for the already supercharged "S" trim Mini if that is what you mean. Yes it is a "bolt on" in the sense that you are not modifying displacement of the engine. Doing the head is involved, but it is a bolt on.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 21 May 2004, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The works kit has its own improved JCW supercharger as part of the upgrade, new head, tuned exhaust, and the "JCW badge." Pretty impressive all things considered. Watch the video description (on the link provided by Beacon) of what JCW does to the Cooper and you walk away with a sense of disappointment to what Chrysler offers you for the PT in terms of company support. Now I'm not sure I would want to spend an additional $5K to get the equivalent increase in performance, but they (Cooper/JCW) do warranty the upgrade.
03 Inferno Red GT (Jun 03 build), 5-speed, leather, heat, 6CD changer, moonroof; winter wheels and tires for year 'round enjoyment; silencers removed, no other mods because I'm having more than enough fun with the power I have now!
Old 21 May 2004, 02:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I believe one of the mini people pointed out, that the JCW kit has to be installed in the car before it's taken for delievery to retain the warranty on the mini. Otherwise, warranty is void if installed after delievery. I think you'll find the post on this thread in this regards.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

One more difference between the PT and the MINI:

The PT is just plain U-G-L-Y.

Bad pseudo-retro style is bad pseudo-retro style.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Karl99

One more difference between the PT and the MINI:

The PT is just plain U-G-L-Y.

Bad pseudo-retro style is bad pseudo-retro style.
Just as with anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The PT is neat, retro and very hot roddish. Meanwhile, the
mini is cute, kinda of girlish.