Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Launch techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2004, 01:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Launch techniques

This spring I will be taking my bone stock DC2 to the dragstrip for some baseline testing before mods begin. I was wondering if anyone had any launch tips? Tration on or off? I will definitely be using it in autostick mode, but it is hard to hook this thing up without spinning the tires from a dead stop.[8)]
Old 10 Mar 2004, 02:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DREAM2

This spring I will be taking my bone stock DC2 to the dragstrip for some baseline testing before mods begin. I was wondering if anyone had any launch tips? Tration on or off? I will definitely be using it in autostick mode, but it is hard to hook this thing up without spinning the tires from a dead stop.[8)]
DREAM2, welcome to the forum. The two threads below should give you the info you are looking for:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...rms=drag,strip

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...rms=drag,strip

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

I read those two links, and I did not see this one answered.

So what is the launch technique for a auto-stick?

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LAF

I read those two links, and I did not see this one answered.

So what is the launch technique for a auto-stick?
Ok, each of these threads has a ref. about lauching with the autostick.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...tostick,launch

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 10 Mar 2004, 06:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok here is what you do. turn your traction control OFF yes OFF
1. do not go into the water,(go around it.
2. pull up to the line very slowly, whenyou see the first LITTLE yellow blub light up STOP,,I said STOP.
3 move ever so slowly to light the second little blub.
4 stare at the top big yellow blub
5 when it lights (the tree is counting down)
6 move your eyes quickly to the green and up one to the bottom yellow.
7 when that yellow lights up GO,I said GO. do not wait for the green you are not fast enough to red lite,and this will give you a 520 or below reaction time. put it to the floor and donot let up..
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks,
I am sure if there is a way to red light, I'll find it. Lots of different techniques though, I guess I'll try a few and see what works for my car on that particular day. I should be getting there alot, since I am only 5 minutes away from Route 66 dragstrip. If it breaks, I can always push it home!
AMX,
I'll be getting one of your pipes as soon as they are available again. Has anyone ever tried putting some sort of foam or weatherstripping between the stock air box and the fenderwell so it only sucks in outside air? Just a thought, not sure of the bad or good.
I'm glad to be here. I could not register for the past two weeks. I'm not sure why. This is definitely the most informed and helpful board I have been on. Thanks to all!
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have read that in autostick mode, the car will shift by itself at redline if you do not shift it yourself. Is this correct? Is there a slight stutter as the engine runs into the rev limiter? I have always just shifted at 5500 rpm. What is the rev limit the engine will shift at by itself in autostick mode?
AMX,
Should I keep the car at idle at the light and then mash the pedal? Wouldn't there be tire spin off the line? I know that even with the traction control on, it gives up when I do this and spins the tires anyway.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 07:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Welcome to the forum Dream2. I will be taking my PT to the strip in the next week or so if the weather is good.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DREAM2

I have read that in autostick mode, the car will shift by itself at redline if you do not shift it yourself. Is this correct? Yes the Autostick will shift by itself at redline

Is there a slight stutter as the engine runs into the rev limiter? not on mine, but I have Stage 1

I have always just shifted at 5500 rpm.
What is the rev limit the engine will shift at by itself in autostick mode? w/o S1 it would shift at 6000 rpms, w/S1 mine shifts at around 6200 rpms

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 10 Mar 2004, 09:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

yes, you will get tirs spin and wheel hop. Increse the air presure to 40 to 45 psi in tires, and yes it will shift auto either in D for drive at 6000 or yes it will shift for you in auto stick again at 6000
good luck.