Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brakes - Turbo vs GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Brakes - Turbo vs GT

Just was thinking (a rare occurence) - does the 180HP turbo have the same brakes as the base or does it get the GT brakes? My guess is that the GT gets bigger brakes, all other PTs have the same brakes, but I don't know for sure.[:I]
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Just was thinking (a rare occurence) - does the 180HP turbo have the same brakes as the base or does it get the GT brakes? My guess is that the GT gets bigger brakes, all other PTs have the same brakes, but I don't know for sure.[:I]
It is my understanding that the 180HP turbo gets the same brakes as the 150 HP. You are correct, only the GT gets the bigger brakes.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 04:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

So I'm guessing then that you'd just have to watch the SRT forums for someone to do a bigbrake upgrade and get their old calipers, and buy new rotors.

AC
Old 12 Mar 2004, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 98 Neon Driver

So I'm guessing then that you'd just have to watch the SRT forums for someone to do a bigbrake upgrade and get their old calipers, and buy new rotors.

AC
SRT has same brakes at GT?

I am considering the Turbo lite (the 180 HP) and was wondering about brakes - I understand that now the ABS option doesn't get you rear discs.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 08:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:quicksilverdon Posted - 03/12/2004 : 3:48:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am considering the Turbo lite (the 180 HP) and was wondering about brakes - I understand that now the ABS option doesn't get you rear discs.
Right you are. My Turbo Lite has front disks/rear drums but I swear it stops much faster than my 2000 Stratus ES with 4 wheel disks, so I'm plenty happy. Does it stop as fast as a PT GT with disks at all corners? I have to assume not (otherwise what's the point of 4 disks????). Yeah, there are some trade offs with the Turbo Lite (I'd like the 4 disks and AutoStick - I really liked that on the Stratus) but the Platinum Series is pretty sweet, and that S1 install is stupid easy to do on your own.

Yeah, decisions, decisions......
Old 12 Mar 2004, 11:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Isn't the wheel bolt pattern different on the SRT-4s. If so the rotors will not fit?
Old 13 Mar 2004, 12:59 am
Cool Cruiser

3BarBoost and I were having this same discussion a little while ago.

Courtesy of the Chrysler website:
Performance Antilock Four-Wheel Disc Brakes
MSRP: $825.00

This is an option for a Touring Edition with the 180 HP turbo engine. [You will not see this option UNLESS the 180 HP engine is already selected] So, yes, you can have ABS and 4-whel disc bakes on a Turbo lite.

What we didn't find out is: Does that 4-wheel disc/ABS option give you GT brakes or the regular 4-wheel discs? Sounds like a question to ask my service manager the next time I am in the neighborhood...

Scott
Old 13 Mar 2004, 10:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

front calipers on GT are 5mm wider than the n/a cruisers.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 15 Mar 2004, 04:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Don't know if this is true for the PTs but in the neons the disc/disc setup is actually heavier than the disc/drum setup. The disc/drum setup performs just aswell unless you start road racing (SCCA)

AC
Old 15 Mar 2004, 08:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The SRT and GT have the same bolt pattern for rims. A few SRT's really like the look of the 17" chrome GT wheels too...