Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
remove silencer ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2004, 10:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default remove silencer ???

Is it better to remove the silencer or leave it? Is there a test to prove the difference? If it is better to remove it, how do I remove it without breaking anything? Is this the only thing remove? I saw the test with and without the rubber and it turned out the rubber is better on then off. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 12:47 am
Fanatic Cruiser

There are three silencers. One in the air box, one in the snorkel and one in the turbo to air box up pipe. The one in the air box comes out with a screwdriver and can be reinstalled later if you wish. About the only way to remove the one in the turbo to air box up pipe is to replace the up pipe. I have the AMX1397 up pipe on my GT and I am very happy with it. The snorkel can be removed but you will draw in warmer air if you remove it. I took mine off opened it up and put electrical tape over the holes. Didn't increase the flow any but changed the sound a little.

The GT seems peppier with the silencers out but some claim that the PCM will adjust for it and get you back to the same power settings after a while.

Take the white one out and try it. It is easy to take off and put back on. It is easier to get out if you pull the air box out of the car first.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 01:06 am
Regular Cruiser

thanks, will give it a try.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529247
Old 28 Mar 2004, 10:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MichaelDay

There are three silencers. One in the air box, one in the snorkel and one in the turbo to air box up pipe. The one in the air box comes out with a screwdriver and can be reinstalled later if you wish. About the only way to remove the one in the turbo to air box up pipe is to replace the up pipe. I have the AMX1397 up pipe on my GT and I am very happy with it. The snorkel can be removed but you will draw in warmer air if you remove it. I took mine off opened it up and put electrical tape over the holes. Didn't increase the flow any but changed the sound a little.

The GT seems peppier with the silencers out but some claim that the PCM will adjust for it and get you back to the same power settings after a while.

Take the white one out and try it. It is easy to take off and put back on. It is easier to get out if you pull the air box out of the car first.
The silencer in the pipe between the "old" air box and the turbo is still there then?
I replaced the stock filter with a cold air intake and thought that all the silencers went with the old box (and snorkle)...?
Old 28 Mar 2004, 01:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you still have the factory intake pipe from the turbo up to the airbox (or new CAI) you still have one silencer in place. The only way to get rid of it is to replace the factory plastic pipe that comes up from the turbo. AMX1397 made the one I have. I am sure there are others but I have been pleased with Jim's.

If your CAI replaced this pipe, you are good to go.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.