Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Problem!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2013, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Problem!

So I got into my 2003 DreamCruiser yesterday and started her up. Nothing out of the ordinary as I warmed her up for a minute and then rolled her out of the garage and idled out of the driveway. Once I hit the street and slowly accelerated, I heard a light "swoosh" sound, followed by a metal "clunk" sound. I thought I may have rolled over something and didn't think anything until I stopped at the STOP at the end of the block. Once I accelerated from the STOP, the same thing happened again. I turned around and went back to the driveway and popped the hood to try to ascertain where the sound was coming from. It is definitely coming from the turbocharger...

It doesn't happen while the engine is at idle. There are no "bucket of bolts" sounds while the engine runs normally. However, once I raise the RPMs to about 2000, there is a clunk sound, as if something is releasing pressure and engaging (almost like a spring-loaded release). It only happens the one time (it does not keep popping) as the RPMs are raised but once I let off the accelerator, it does it once more.

I have no real knowledge of the turbocharger system but I'm certain this is not a good thing. Does anyone have any idea what I might be facing here?

Proud owner of 2003 Dream Cruiser #40
Old 05 Aug 2013, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Problem!

The manifold has a door that opens for the hot gasses to move the turbo. How much have you driven this car? Maybe it has a blow off valve on it.
?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The manifold has a door that opens for the hot gasses to move the turbo. How much have you driven this car?
Well I parked the car when I noticed the sound, so I didn't even put 1/4 mile on it.

Old 05 Aug 2013, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, I meant have you driven it before that?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Aug 2013, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, yes. I've owned it for nearly three years and have never heard anything like that, which is why I parked the car after hearing that. It's definitely a noticeable sound...

Old 05 Aug 2013, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, there is a vacuum operated mechanism that operates the trap door for the turbo. Maybe that arm is loose. You will have to look and see. Work the throttle by hand while looking back there.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Aug 2013, 02:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Turbo Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetunesguy View Post
Oh, yes. I've owned it for nearly three years and have never heard anything like that, which is why I parked the car after hearing that. It's definitely a noticeable sound...
Your definately talking to the right man about turbos....
REBUILDING THE TURBO!!!!
Old 05 Aug 2013, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
OK, there is a vacuum operated mechanism that operates the trap door for the turbo. Maybe that arm is loose.
Is that on the side where the intake hose comes from the air filter box? It almost sounds as if the noise comes from the passenger side of the turbo assembly.

Old 05 Aug 2013, 02:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Turbo Problem!

Quote:
OK, there is a vacuum operated mechanism that operates the trap door for the turbo. Maybe that arm is loose. You will have to look and see. Work the throttle by hand while looking back there.
Is that what is called a 'wastegate actuator'?.....Or a 'surge valve actuator'?.....I'm just trying to educate myself.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 04:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Turbo Problem!

Here's a couple of pics;One is the actuator 'bank',and the other I believe is a pic of where the vacuum line splits off from the brake booster line on the side of the air box.(not sure though?)
PTturbo01.jpg

PTbrakebooster.jpg