PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NEED ADVICE: too much oil in crankcase could have I caused serious damage

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2013, 09:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default NEED ADVICE: too much oil in crankcase could I have caused serious damage

A few weeks ago I put synthetic mobil one in my car because I just bought it and wanted to make sure it has good synthetic oil. After draining it I realized I had bought the wrong filter and it was after hrs so I could not go get the correct one so I just kept the old filter in (fyi the oil/filter was changed by the dealer when I bought the car so the filter was 2 weeks old and had maybe 50 miles on it). I went ahead and poured the 5 quarts of synthetic in and called it a day.

I just now realized since I did not remove the filter the oil that was stored in the filter did not leave crankcase when I changed it so I now have been driving with 5 quarts plus how much the oil filter area holds so I ran out to the garage and checked the level and the mark was about 1/2 inch over max. I instantly drained the extra oil which seems like almost 1 quarts worth. Could I have done damage and not know it yet? What should I do guys? Im feel like such an idiot right now!!!!!

btw the car seems to have been running just fine and I have put about 250 miles on the car with the extra oil in the crankcase

Last edited by ptcruiser94; 21 Aug 2013 at 09:34 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NEED ADVICE: too much oil in crankcase could have I caused serious damage

Just relax, no harm no foul. Your just fine no worries.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Aug 2013, 10:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: NEED ADVICE: too much oil in crankcase could have I caused serious damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Just relax, no harm no foul. Your just fine no worries.
I just hope so.

Also 2 days ago I had the 3" downpipe and bov plate installed and its fast and the bov sounds nice but now the idle is off a bit and it feels like its running rich. The guys at the shop said to give it a few days and the ecu will adjust to no longer having a cat and it should get back to normal but now I am thinking its the extra oil messed up my new plugs????
Old 21 Aug 2013, 10:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not good to run with crank in oil, but a quart couldn't be that much more height to the oil level.
Think of oil pan area (at 'full' line) and how much weight a quart will add to that.
Not much!

I really don't think you should worry.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 10:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Not good to run with crank in oil, but a quart couldn't be that much more height to the oil level.
Think of oil pan area (at 'full' line) and how much weight a quart will add to that.
Not much!

I really don't think you should worry.
Thanks! you guys know how to calm a spaz down

Just don't want to do any harm to my new baby
Old 22 Aug 2013, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Didn't have any affect on the other issues either. Check for leaks in the vacuum lines and any thing that got disturbed. Becarful of the so called go fast mods. Many actually , while sounding good take away performance.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:56 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Didn't have any affect on the other issues either. Check for leaks in the vacuum lines and any thing that got disturbed. Becarful of the so called go fast mods. Many actually , while sounding good take away performance.
Will do. Yeah I have the stock modded air box (with new k&n) ready to go back on when Im done playing with the airaid. I am trying to compare the two performance wise but I do like the sound with the airiad
Old 22 Aug 2013, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It is really hard to overfill the crankcase. If you do dip the crankshaft in the oil it will cause some foaming action and parasitic drag lowering your MPG. Neither is "OMG what have I done" concerning? lol. You would need to fill the crankcase with enough oil to reach the pistons before any damage could happen. In the 4 cylinder Chrysler engine that would be about 10 quarts of oil.

The air filters will have no performance difference between them what so ever on your Turbo Engine. IMO I would stay with the Airiad filter for the sound!!!!!
We tested most every CAI on the market and unfortunately with the long intake tube on the turbo model PTs the air gets heated no matter what filter or filter system is used. What is even more funny is some say to run outside the engine compartment so as not to get heated air. IAT Data shows that even a cone filter close to the OEM filter box opening will run the same IATs as running a filter with direct ambient ram air.
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Aug 2013 at 09:54 am.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 11:29 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the input NitroPT