Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
550 HP Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2004, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Default 550 HP Axles

Wonder if these fit the PT ? I bet they do on the manuals, but I wonder about the AS cars.....

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item148587.ctlg

I also wonder if you get these and some Drag Slicks if something in your tranny might break.

They look nice though.

Old 26 Mar 2004, 11:54 am
Cool Cruiser

You're right about one thing. The better you hook up the more strain you put on the drivetrain. I've grenaded a transmission on my Impala SS for that reason, and I've got friends in double digit auto trans failure. I have a spare in storage for that next occaision.

It will be the weak link. The manual transmission will probably hold up better, and cost less to repair.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 11:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dragula

You're right about one thing. The better you hook up the more strain you put on the drivetrain. I've grenaded a transmission on my Impala SS for that reason, and I've got friends in double digit auto trans failure. I have a spare in storage for that next occaision.

It will be the weak link. The manual transmission will probably hold up better, and cost less to repair.
I wonder if and when you grenade an Automatic, if you wanted to switch to a stick, in addition to just having the parts, could you just order a new Stage 1 PCM with your automatic's VIN and it work ?

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 26 Mar 2004, 06:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

The spare transmission is for my ImpalaSS. I'd love to drive a stick, but I have physical handicap that prevents me from it. If not for that there'd be a T56 transmission in the Impala by now, and I'd have bought a manual GT.

I have a buddy who installs 6 speeds in Impalas. He had to engineer a kit to add the clutch pedal, transmission mount, modify the console, and many other things involved. I'm sure it would be easier to modify a car that actually has a manual version to source parts from, but it would be best to just buy one like that from the factory. I also wouldn't bet that the PCM from an automatic can be used in a manual car.
Old 26 Mar 2004, 07:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

autos are cheeper to rebuil and i can buy a reman for cheeper than you could fix a manual. trust me i work at a dealer and i have also broke alot of stuff
Old 28 Mar 2004, 03:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

I dont think they will work. the SRT has a different trans that may require diff. half shafts
Old 28 Mar 2004, 08:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PVO PT

I dont think they will work. the SRT has a different trans that may require diff. half shafts
That's what I figured, but with most places that rebuild these axles, you can *usually* send them yours and have them done, especially if some of the axle components are the same or similar, such as length, etc.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 28 Mar 2004, 09:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

from what I have herd the Driveshaft Shop does nice work and they may be able to make some if there is some intrest. I know I need a set for the new GT that I will be geting in a few weeks. 350+ FT LB Torque goal will shatter stock shafts. Mine went at 290ish at the wheels. I think they are rated for around 265-275 for the stick.