Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2013, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating issue

Hello everyone, new here, and not much of a mechanic but I thought I would ask the pros here.

Here is the history... (Long story sorry) I have a 2005 Cruiser Convertible with the 2.4L turbo. I bought it used with 30K on it about three years ago, and it now has 90K. I have had a ton of problems with this thing (turbo replaced, radiator, fan, bearing, power steering failure, among others), and this one is sort of the tipping point.

About April (6 months ago) I was in traffic and noticed the temp going up. I turned on the heat, the temp went down, got to my destination drove home, no problems and nothing more for about 4 months. In August I was on a short trip (100 miles) and about half way there the temp started going up I again turned on the heat and kept the temp manageable until the last 15 miles or so, then it got hot. I stopped every mile or so and waited for it to cool down (made a 15 mile trip 4 hours). I took it to my father in-laws mechanic and he replaced the thermostat. The next day I drove home and it was fine the entire 100 miles, no problems...until I pulled into my street and the temp went up again. I then took it to my mechanic about 30 minutes away and had no over heating issues all the way there, but he identified a fan which was not going into HIGH mode. I had him replace that. I drove it just fine for about two weeks (500-600 miles), and no issue. Two weeks ago my wife drove it for 35 miles, came home and I took it out out and got 5 miles and it started to over heat. On Saturday I drove it for about a half hour and no problems again....

My question is what could this be...I have been told a head gasket, stuck thermostat, etc. I am not convinced this is a gasket because at no point has the car been smoking, boiling, dumping the entire coolant (it has dumped out the back of the reservoir when it got hot, as designed), and it did not display any of the other head gasket tell-tale signs.

At this point I only have a few payments left, I have a 13 year old at home who will want a car in 3 years, I want to put it up on blocks and fix it if possible and give it to him in three years, so I have time to mess with it. Just looking for some ideas.

I put it up on Craigslist last night for $2000 and got about a million hits, but everyone I talked to was afraid of the overheating, so I am keeping it for now.

Thanks in advance for the help, i appreciate your expertise.
Old 10 Oct 2013, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issue

Welcome to the forum.

When it overheated and you lost coolant out of the overflow bottle, did you refill to the proper level with the right coolant and then bleed the system of any excess air? Once you loose any coolant, air gets into the system and if not purged correctly the trapped air will cause overheating conditions.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 10 Oct 2013, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. Yes we topped off the coolant with the correct type, as far as the purge I do not know if that was done, is that something I can try to do? I am not much of a mechanic but I can handle some things myself.
Old 10 Oct 2013, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a couple threads and a u-tube on the procedure...

How to Bleed the Coolant System on a PT Cruiser | eHow

Bleeding air from cooling system

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 10 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Worth a try I guess. Any other suggestions?
Old 10 Oct 2013, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you leaking at all, ANYWHERE? Look hard at the area above the thermostat. It's plastic pipe and is prone to crack and any leak will cause air to get into the system.

Your sure the new fan is working on both speeds?

Tags
overheating