Advertisements
Re-programming the PCM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2004, 10:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re-programming the PCM?

Does anyone have any personal experience with this:

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/tl/tl_10.html#227

Is it worth it? What are the actual gains? Will the dealer know as soon as they hook it up (thus voiding my warranty)?

Thanks...
Old 29 Mar 2004, 06:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

They might not know, but if they flash your computer it would probably wipe it all out. You are posting in the turbo area so I assume you are asking about a turbo. If you want to do this why not just get Stage upgrade?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 29 Mar 2004, 09:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

They might not know, but if they flash your computer it would probably wipe it all out. You are posting in the turbo area so I assume you are asking about a turbo. If you want to do this why not just get Stage upgrade?
Would the stage 1 cause warranty issues? What is entailed in a stage 1 upgrade (what parts are replaced)? Also what HP gains am I looking at?
I think (judging by other posts) I am currently around 230HP with the airaid cold air intake and the magnaflow cat-back exhaust.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 01:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

That chip is not for turbos and I wouldn't want it. Dealer flashes your pcm and you lose it all. Stage 1 may or may not cause warranty issues. Depends on the dealer. My dealer said if Stage 1 causes a problem my warranty could be affected. He said my warranty is not voided just because I have Stage 1. Some dealers will void your warranty for any mod. Luckily mine won't. Go here for Stage 1 info.
http://www.mopar.com/pt_stage_1.htm
For an '04 it just considts of a new pcm, but same price as an '03.
An '03 turbo is rated at 215 hp, but it is more like 220 hp. So stage 1 should take you to 240 hp plus your mods. An '04 is rated at 220 hp because it already has the stage 1 injectors and with stage 1 is rated at 240 hp.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 Mar 2004, 11:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

That chip is not for turbos and I wouldn't want it. Dealer flashes your pcm and you lose it all. Stage 1 may or may not cause warranty issues. Depends on the dealer. My dealer said if Stage 1 causes a problem my warranty could be affected. He said my warranty is not voided just because I have Stage 1. Some dealers will void your warranty for any mod. Luckily mine won't. Go here for Stage 1 info.
http://www.mopar.com/pt_stage_1.htm
For an '04 it just considts of a new pcm, but same price as an '03.
An '03 turbo is rated at 215 hp, but it is more like 220 hp. So stage 1 should take you to 240 hp plus your mods. An '04 is rated at 220 hp because it already has the stage 1 injectors and with stage 1 is rated at 240 hp.
Since it's just a PCM replacement it's an easy job right? Do you have any website that details the PCM replacement (with pictures)? As far as the warranty goes you could just switch back to the stock PCM and reset the computer if you needed to bring it in and they shouldn't be able to tell, right?
Old 30 Mar 2004, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't think they give you another chip - you send in your chip and they program it.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 10:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:alceryes Posted - 03/30/2004 : 09:30:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it's just a PCM replacement it's an easy job right? Do you have any website that details the PCM replacement (with pictures)? As far as the warranty goes you could just switch back to the stock PCM and reset the computer if you needed to bring it in and they shouldn't be able to tell, right?
If your car is an '04 then the Stage 1 upgrade is a super simple install as all you do is unbolt/unplug the original PCM and bolt/plug-in the new one. An auto trans needs to go through the "quick learn" process, which is pretty straightforward. I installed mine in about 45 minutes and I don't even pretend to be a mechanic. You do NOT send in your original PCM for replacement or reprogramming - a Stage 1 PCM is shipped and programmed with your vehicles VIN and mileage, but that's all. My original PCM is in a box on a shelf in my garage.

You can see the install instructions at http://www.mopar.com/pdf/7256_PTInstructionSheets.pdf Keep in mind these instructions are for the '03 so they include the injector installation. An '04 skips this part. If your car has a manual gearbox you don't need to do the "quick learn".

By the way, Stage 1 does more than simply increase your HP, it changes how and when turbo boost comes on, among other things. For $350 - $400 it's a pretty cool mod. I love mine, but then again I upgraded a 180HP Turbo Lite to the 235-240HP of Stage 1; a VERY noticeable change!
Old 06 Jun 2010, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Re-programming the PCM?

hey guys do you know where i can get the stage 1 pcm im running a turbo lite right now but wana gain more power
Old 06 Jun 2010, 11:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Re-programming the PCM?

Check the classified section here and on PTCrew. Also Stg 1 pcm is year and tranny specific.
2004 GT, 5spd, Stage1, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow 2.5" Catback, 3" O2, 3" Needswings Catless DP, Mopar BOV, NGK Iridiums, Mopar Wires, Aeroforce Interceptor w/wideband kit, Vibrant Catch Can, Prothane Inserts, AMX1397 upper and lower pipes, Plastic Intake, Hurst STS, S2 WGA, Factory Sub and now Alky Injected!