Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Brake Pads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2004, 10:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Default New Brake Pads

Has anyone replaced their brake pads? The dust from the front pads is getting to be insane. I am looking for the same performance as the factory set or better, but my main concern is to cut down on the dust. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:40 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gunner

Has anyone replaced their brake pads? The dust from the front pads is getting to be insane. I am looking for the same performance as the factory set or better, but my main concern is to cut down on the dust. Any help would be appreciated!
Get the CMX1776 ceramic pads from Napa. They are for the NA PT but just a tad bit smaller then the GT. I put them on mine, They fit just fine and no more brake dust.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

U can buy these from Tire Rack they are called out for SRT-4 use so they fit ours too!!

Akebono’s advanced ProACT™ Ceramic Disc Pads, original equipment on many of North America’s most popular cars, light trucks and sport utility vehicles, are ideal OEM replacement components and the perfect performance option for drivers looking to upgrade from conventional pads.

Akebono Ceramic Technology (ACT) helps to reduce the brake noise (squealing and grinding), vibration and harshness (NVH) problems associated with some aftermarket brake products. Ceramic technology also produces ultra-low dusting for cleaner wheels and tires and fosters minimal wear on the brake rotor.
Other advantages of ProACT ceramic brake pads include:
Unrivaled “initial effectiveness” with no required break-in period
Ultra-quiet, positive and smooth braking performance
High resistance to fade with fast recovery
More consistent pedal feel for driver confidence
NVH control is further optimized by the fact that ProACT™ Ceramic Disc Pads are designed for specific models, as well as powder-coat finished and harmonically damped. All Akebono ceramic disc pad formulations are also asbestos-free.

06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by At58

Quote:

Get the CMX1776 ceramic pads from Napa. They are for the NA PT but just a tad bit smaller then the GT. I put them on mine, They fit just fine and no more brake dust.
What is the approx. price?
Old 01 Apr 2004, 10:07 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by At58

Quote:

What is the approx. price?
I paid $79.00 for the set.
Old 01 Apr 2004, 12:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I just bought EBC Green Stuff Pads and EBC Slotted and dimple drilled discs for the front. Haven't put them on yet, but thw Green Stuff pads have a very good rep. for low dust and good grip.

I used ceramics on a previous car, low dust, but they ate my discs. I suppose that it is a trade off.
Old 01 Apr 2004, 03:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

U can buy these from Tire Rack they are called out for SRT-4 use so they fit ours too!!

Akebono’s advanced ProACT™ Ceramic Disc Pads, original equipment on many of North America’s most popular cars, light trucks and sport utility vehicles, are ideal OEM replacement components and the perfect performance option for drivers looking to upgrade from conventional pads.

[snip lots of tech stuff]
That's fine and all, but do they stay crispy in milk? [8D]
Old 01 Apr 2004, 05:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Put on the pads and discs. Took all of 20 minutes. Everything fit like stock.

How well they function, I will know over time.

The green stuff pads are low dust (aramid fiber). The metal in the OE pads was the culprit for pitting the wheels, hopefully this will help.

The slotted and drilled look is nice a nice touch![?]
Old 01 Apr 2004, 10:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Kirby, let me know how everything works. By the way, how much did the rotors and pads cost and where did you get them from?
[8)]
Old 02 Apr 2004, 11:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Gunner,
I had to go direct to EBC to get the slotted and dimple drilled rotors ($198) they were temporarily out of stock on pads, so I went to Tire Rack (on line) to get the pads ($69).

Tire Rac may have both in stock by now.

I feel much more comfortable getting a pad and rotor that are matched, I destroyed a set of rotors on a previous car with a too agressive pad on a stock rotor.

The setup seems to be working well, we had rain last night and they performed admirably. My son gave them a real test and pronounced them much better, and that they make a cool whirring sound when you stop. I have heard of this before with drilled discs.[8)]