PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! Turbo Replacement!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2013, 02:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help! Turbo Replacement!

Hi I have a few of questions:

1. Can the turbo component be removed from a turbo engine without an overall (keyword being "overall") loss of power? Can the car still be run satisfactorily without it?

2. How much does a new turbo component typically run if it needs to be replaced? Parts and labor? Is $3400 high?

3. Timing belt and water pump never been replaced. Is it worth it to replace that first to see a new belt solves the problem?

The back story:

The turbo went out in my wife's 2004 PT Cruiser Touring with 78K miles on it..

The main symptom that the car is having is a complete lack of power. It's just running like a dog.

Dealer said the turbo was shot and quoted me $3400 to replace it. He said that I was lucky that a (turbine?) didn't shatter into a million metal pieces. He also, quoted another $1600 to replace the timing belt and water pump. My usual non-dealer mechanic said that he would do the timing belt and water pump for $750 and called the $1600 that the dealer quoted me "highway robbery". My usual mechanic doesn't do turbo work, though.

I asked the dealer if they could just remove the turbo, and he said no, explaining that it's a key element in the functioning of that engine. He said that it's a turbo engine, the turbo needs to be working for the engine to operate properly.

I talked to my general mechanic who has done work for me recently, and he suggested replacing the timing belt first to see if that solves anything. He seemed to think that the car could run satisfactorily without the turbo, but he said that he wasn't 100% sure.

So, putting 4-5,000 dollars into a 2004 PT cruiser with 78K miles on it doesn't seem much worth it. That's more than the vehicle is worth.

Anyway, that's all I know for now. Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks! -Dave

Last edited by hophead515; 07 Nov 2013 at 02:45 am.
Old 07 Nov 2013, 03:10 am
Banned

Default Re: Help! Turbo Replacement!

Your timing belt isn't the issue, it will eventually need to be replaced though

Has a compression test been done? Your local mechanic should be able diagnose it
Old 07 Nov 2013, 03:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Check out ebay or craigslist for a turbo. Stock should be about $200. the Pt turbo is a TD04. same as the Srt Neon.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 07 Nov 2013, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok, the dealer is full of chrap. These won't shatter. Read this for a basic understanding of these and how they get damaged. http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html Just click on the pictures for a larger picture and a explnation of what you are seeing. You should get someone to check that all of the hoses or pipes are securely attached to the turo. If you have a boost leak, you will have a lose of power. If you do have a worn out turbo. These are easily replaced. Way easier than the timing belt. Your guy is reasonable on the belt. If you could get him to consider looking at the big pipes going from the turbo to the intercooler, then to the intake . One of these may be off. Should hear a much different sound. If it is. You really can't leave it off. The dealer is replacing with a complete unit. Just avoid them. The timing belt will not fix your symptoms. If it starts and idles normal. You are in time and that will not help with the power problem. You will still need to address the turbo as well. Assuming they have diagnosed it properly to begin with. I rebuilt and removed and reinstalled my turbo and I'm not a mechanic. But I have done my own work for years.

REBUILDING THE TURBO!!!!
In my signature you will see a link to my project page and you can see the install parts of this. Page 14 post #136 and page 17 post #167 For any help that it may be.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Nov 2013, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks all, for the feedback.

My mechanic did do a compression check and it was ok.

He also dropped the whole exhaust to see if something was clogged (including cat converter) and that didn't solve it either.

All things are pointing to a shot turbo. I read through the great link and pix that Busted_PT posted (which were GREAT, but the way!) , and I am thinking that the whole turbo needs to be replaced as opposed to just being rebuilt.

The trick, now, is finding someone other than the dealer who can fix it and won't charge $3400 dollars. I do see new TD04's for sale online for 2-400 bucks, and I just can't imagine that it costs the $3000, that the dealer wants to charge in labor, to install.

My mechanic, who came highly recommended, and I have been using for both my vehicles the past few months, has lived up to all expectations. He's actually calling people he knows today to see if he can find someone who will do the work that's good (remember he doesn't service turbo issues). Although the guides seem pretty straight forward, I'm a little freaked out about attempting the repair myself. Is it complicated?
Old 07 Nov 2013, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you use synthetic oil? Turbos really need good synthetic oil.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Nov 2013, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Did you use synthetic oil? Turbos really need good synthetic oil.
No! I didn't, but I read that on the link posted above. I'll be using that from now on.
Old 07 Nov 2013, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead515 View Post
Thanks all, for the feedback.

My mechanic did do a compression check and it was ok.

He also dropped the whole exhaust to see if something was clogged (including cat converter) and that didn't solve it either.

All things are pointing to a shot turbo. I read through the great link and pix that Busted_PT posted (which were GREAT, but the way!) , and I am thinking that the whole turbo needs to be replaced as opposed to just being rebuilt.

The trick, now, is finding someone other than the dealer who can fix it and won't charge $3400 dollars. I do see new TD04's for sale online for 2-400 bucks, and I just can't imagine that it costs the $3000, that the dealer wants to charge in labor, to install.

My mechanic, who came highly recommended, and I have been using for both my vehicles the past few months, has lived up to all expectations. He's actually calling people he knows today to see if he can find someone who will do the work that's good (remember he doesn't service turbo issues). Although the guides seem pretty straight forward, I'm a little freaked out about attempting the repair myself. Is it complicated?
Not that complicated. The one you see are no new. Unless you buy a imported one. Not original maker. To get there warranty, you have to buy the oil line. This is the worst part to get off. You can clean the end that bolts to the turbo on the car. First two inches is all that you need to be concerned with. It's also way easer to do with the motor mounts loose. Like when doing the timing belt. Makes it easy to get at. That's when I did mine. But if you get it replaced and don't need as core I would like to get it from you. For a future ides I have been thinking about. OEM unit is probably exhaust manifold and all. Way to expense that way. Did you loose this power suddenly or slowly?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Nov 2013, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was fairly suddenly. Like, I remember a conversation with my wife when we both noticed it. Something like "Say, what's the deal with the Cruiser? It's got no power".

Is the exhaust manifold that much more expensive? It looks to me like that was another very common thing that fails when the turbo fails from the pix in the link you posted.
Old 07 Nov 2013, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead515 View Post
It was fairly suddenly. Like, I remember a conversation with my wife when we both noticed it. Something like "Say, what's the deal with the Cruiser? It's got no power".

Is the exhaust manifold that much more expensive? It looks to me like that was another very common thing that fails when the turbo fails from the pix in the link you posted.
Only if you let it go for awhile. But you would hear all kinds of screeching. Smoke to. The parts from the dealer are very expensive. I'd say $1500. Or more. Most never get that far. There is a good chance you may have a big boost leak. Follow the hoses and pipes and look for any loose clamps or holes in any of the tubing as it makes its way around the motor to the intake. Or big vacuum hoses like the pcv hose or the vent hose. These things don't usually happen fast unless you have a big failure. Those you can hear.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com