PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my manu matic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2004, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to van
Default my manu matic

ok,when i use the auto stick, i can change gears and stuff. but i'm lead to believe that its suppose to ride like a manual. . .maybe i;m not letting off the gas early enough or not knowing what rpm is right to switch gears at. school me . school me now.! teach me how to use it right.
Old 05 Apr 2004, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to van

don't know either huuh?
Old 05 Apr 2004, 09:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

van, sorry I don't know but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 05 Apr 2004, 11:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

The auto-stick doesn't shift too fast if your thinking of quick shifting times. It takes roughly about a second for it to shift as the computer needs to approve your request to upshift or downshift.

If your thinking of performance shifting for the autostick, there is only a few options you can take:

1. Shift from "D" to Auto-Stick, downshift to get the revs up and just go full throtle and let the autostick shift for you (it will shift around 6200 RPM)

2. If you want to start from a stop and launch. Set to it to Auto-stick (1st gear, obviously). Hold your brakes and rev up to about 1900 to 2100 RPMS. When you want to go forward, release the breaks and just keep your foot on the pedal and let the auto-stick shift for you. Note: Trying to manual shift or leaving it on drive "D" will give you crappier 1/4 times about 0.4 secs penalty. It's best to let the auto-stick shift for you.

3. Auto-stick does help on those downhills as you might want to downshift to save some brakes.

If your thinking the auto-stick is suppose to shift as fast as the BMW's SMG or Audi's DSG (something like that), it's no where in comparison to those technology.

A Stage 1 upgrade might actually help the auto-stick shift faster, but than again, it's best to let the auto-stick shift for you for better 1/4 times.

I have owned an auto 04 GT and now with a 5-speed. Both have their advantages and there is alot of threads on this forum and other PT sites in the regards of 5 Speed v Auto. To be honest, the auto transmission isn't that bad, but does a good job running 1/4 mile times.
Old 06 Apr 2004, 02:22 am
Senior Cruiser

I had an AutoStick in my previous car, a 2000 Stratus ES V-6. You don't need to let off the gas to shift, just keep your foot in it when you slap up to the next gear. I used to shift up through the gears similarly to using a manual - let's face it, in normal driving you don't run a manual up to redline for every shift. Your shift points depend on how hard you're accelerating.

I also used the AutoStick to downshift when passing or approaching corners, slowing in traffic, etc. Same sort of situations where you'd downshift a manual, just no clutch pedal involved.

It's kind of like a sequential gearbox on a motorcycle; you can't skip a gear when you shift in either direction. I used to drop from 5th straight to 3rd under real heavy breaking in my old manual gearbox BMW 3 Series, so doing the double slap in the same situation with the AutoStick Stratus took some getting used to. You can have a good deal of fun with it, but in all honesty it's almost more of a toy. I mean that in a good way! I liked it, but don't really miss it with the PT either.
Old 07 Apr 2004, 07:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy

3. Auto-stick does help on those downhills as you might want to downshift to save some brakes.
Hmmm... save some brakes or overheat the tranny?[:I] pay me now or pay me later...
Owell, i do the same thing[8]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 08 Apr 2004, 03:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OurPTGT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy

Hmmm... save some brakes or overheat the tranny?[:I] pay me now or pay me later...
Owell, i do the same thing[8]
Brakes are cheaper than the tranny. I used to downshift a lot with a stick but now only when I need to. A mechanic asked me if I'd rather replace the clutch and it's components or the brakes? Brake pads are a lot cheaper. Now compare fixing an auto tranny to replacing brake pads. [xx(]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Apr 2004, 06:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Van ,welcome to this forum[^]

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)