changed speedo cluster

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By InfernoGT
  • 1 Post By InfernoGT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2014, 12:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default changed speedo cluster

I was able to pick up a GT speedo cluster and have installed it in my 04 Touring Turbo lite.
Before you think I'm nuts (actually I am according to VA) my pt is an 04 touring but the engine was transplanted from a gt. I thought it would look better with the gt instruments.
Now that its on, I have 3 lights that are staying on. The abs light stays on but I don't have abs, the emergency brake light is on but the ebrake is not engaged. And the traction control light is on but there is no traction control.
How do I kill these lights ?
Old 07 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: changed speedo cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttomes View Post
I was able to pick up a GT speedo cluster and have installed it in my 04 Touring Turbo lite.
Before you think I'm nuts (actually I am according to VA) my pt is an 04 touring but the engine was transplanted from a gt. I thought it would look better with the gt instruments.
Now that its on, I have 3 lights that are staying on. The abs light stays on but I don't have abs, the emergency brake light is on but the ebrake is not engaged. And the traction control light is on but there is no traction control.
How do I kill these lights ?
You not going to. Your turbo engine is like every turbo. No difference in the gt motor. It's all in the pcm. I also have a Turbo lite. So you may want to go back to your stock cluster. How close were the milage of the two clusters? But you did answer my question of if it would be a problem. Guess I won't be doing this mod. But I am looking for a gt cluster to play with for another project.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 07 Feb 2014 at 12:46 pm.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had thought about trying this mod too on my NA PT. I had figured the speedometer would just be off or not work since the GT uses the autostick tranny. But now it sounds like there would be way more problems than that.

I'm really surprised I haven't found a good thread on this forum about jail-breaking the PCM and adjusting the settings. I found a thread with one member with some "software", but the details were not included. With today's technology and the internet, I'm really surprised there are no detailed instructions with tables of settings like there are for cell phones. That's especially true since an early 2000's ECM is going to be much less complex than a modern cell phone.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Busted, I sent the gt cluster off and had the mileage set or corrected so there is barely a difference. I also have a computer from a gt, but I have not done anything with it yet. One other item I have it the autostick shifter that I thought about installing.
Gonna keep searching though, I can't be the first to try this.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 01:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Handy, everything works, its just the dummy lights. The standard auto shows on the speedo so I think the auto stick will also. Not sure how it would all work an the n/a though.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 02:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The gauges will function normally when you swap them no matter what the PCM. Rocketman swapped his. There is something wrong that is setting off those lights. It's probably the fact that you have a GT PCM in a car that does not have those features. The cluster only displays what it gets from the PCM. That generation of cluster is just the same as neons. Plug and play. I would talk to Rocketman if you have more questions.
Ttomes and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 03:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Inferno, the computer right now is the one from the turbo lite. Thanks for the tip on Rocket man, I left him a message.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 09:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttomes View Post
Inferno, the computer right now is the one from the turbo lite. Thanks for the tip on Rocket man, I left him a message.
Well I guess what I meant to say is you have a pcm in a car that doesn't have those features such as abs. So it is looking for a signal that's not there.
Ttomes likes this.