Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Hard starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2004, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Hard starting

Well not really that hard... It cranks for say 10 seconds I stop and turn the key and it fires right up. I have about 4k miles on it and am travelling through New England( Boston) I didnt notice this when in Georgia. It seemed to just start up here. Could it be gasoline? I think they oxygenate gas up here....... Could that lead to fouling or hard starts?

Dave
On the Road
04 PT Turbolite Electric Blue
Old 09 Apr 2004, 04:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Oxygenated gas sucks. I've heard it can make your vehicle run like crap. Glad we don't have that s**t in Oregon.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Apr 2004, 09:42 am
Cool Cruiser

We have been fighting that now for over a year. DC has reprogrammed the PCM, given us a new gas cap (fixed it for a while) and on and on. We are dropping it off tonight to try again. I keep telling them to change the PCM, but No, that's not the issue. Bull feathers, it is the issue. Oh, well, maybe it's time to purchase the Stage one kit. Oh, ours is a 2003 Turbo, 5 speed.

Mike
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

We are back in Georgia. I ran the tank nearly empty on the trip home. Along I 85 I filled up with premium and can say that it now starts fine... I am on the second tank and made about 10 short trips without a starting issue... Also the Stage I package arrived when I was in Boston [^] But that will have to wait. [xx(] While travelling down I-95 near New Haven CT a van in front of me kicked up what looked to be a "brick" I couldnt do anything except watch it come down on us like a fly tipped baseball. Smashed the upper drivers side of the windshield and put a ding in my door the size of your palm [V] I've been driving for 39 years and my 1st accident. Well maybe not an accident but a claim to the insurance company. [xx(] My luck they'll double my rates[|)]
Old 12 Apr 2004, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

PTCumming, Had that happen to me once.It's like you see it coming in slow motion,but there isn't a damn thing you can do[B)]Hope you get
your Cruiser back on the road. Just be thankful no one was hurt.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 12 Apr 2004, 09:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

This is just a thought but you might want to just turn the key on for a few seconds before cranking. The fuel pump comes on at "key on" and it has to pressurize the system before you can get a start at the "engine run" position. This is pretty common with a lot of fuel injected cars.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yup I tried the key on for a few seconds and a couple other tricks. But nothing worked. I dont have to do a thing since I got that nasty oxygenated gas out of her system. Fires right up.. no fuss no muss...
Old 16 Apr 2004, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTCumming

We are back in Georgia. I ran the tank nearly empty on the trip home. Along I 85 I filled up with premium and can say that it now starts fine... I am on the second tank and made about 10 short trips without a starting issue... Also the Stage I package arrived when I was in Boston [^] But that will have to wait. [xx(] While travelling down I-95 near New Haven CT a van in front of me kicked up what looked to be a "brick" I couldnt do anything except watch it come down on us like a fly tipped baseball. Smashed the upper drivers side of the windshield and put a ding in my door the size of your palm [V] I've been driving for 39 years and my 1st accident. Well maybe not an accident but a claim to the insurance company. [xx(] My luck they'll double my rates[|)]
At least you weren't behind that fuel truck that melted one of CTs bridges on 95! You should've seen the traffic snarls due to that!

I got knicked on my way up to Maine last Thanksgiving. On Thursday, the crack was a little star. By Saturday I had a line across 1/3 of my windshield.

The news is that Safelite gave me a better windshield that seems more resistant to the road debris that gets kicked up. Also, it has a blue stripe across the top of the windshield instead of those silly black dots.

I don't know about your insurance co. but here in CT insurance companies are required to provide glass insurance for $2/yr. No deductibles for broken glass replacement (although I'm limited to 2 windshields / yr) and no effect to insurance rates. Hopefully your insurance will cover you.