PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
which one?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2014, 08:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default which one?

been looking and searching to figure out which tuner to get? the predator, trinity or intune. iv pretty much expended what funds I had. bought the 03 gt and in the works of buying the stage 1. it seems to me all 3 of those come with the 93 tune and can still have custom tunes? only ask because the predator can be had for cheaper, it just cant be mounted inside the car and the intune is just a fancy hand held I believe. so money wise which one?
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 04 Mar 2014, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
been looking and searching to figure out which tuner to get? the predator, trinity or intune. iv pretty much expended what funds I had. bought the 03 gt and in the works of buying the stage 1. it seems to me all 3 of those come with the 93 tune and can still have custom tunes? only ask because the predator can be had for cheaper, it just cant be mounted inside the car and the intune is just a fancy hand held I believe. so money wise which one?
IMO think twice about the Predator. They are cheep now and work great however DiabloSport no longer supports them. No more updates will be available any longer nor will they do online or free call technical support for them as of this year. You will need to seek a CMR for assistance for help and questions. As well from I have spoken to a couple CMR's they recommend to there regular customers to sell the Predator for the newer tuning tools from DiabloSport i.ie. Trinity or Intune.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Mar 2014, 12:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
You don't need Mopar Stage 1 if you get a DiabloSport.
I personally would go with the Trinity before the Intune. They can be had used for around $400 shipped. If you get an unmarried DSP you can hook it up to a netbook or laptop and log runs. So to answer your question on which one to get via money wise. You can't go wrong with a DSP. Around $200 shipped used.

Last edited by 4drturbo; 05 Mar 2014 at 12:42 am.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 07:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks nitro. That's what I was looking for because I was a little skeptical about the predator. To 4drturbo, I know a dsp can and will yield the same if not better results but where I have the auto stick I figured it'd be worth it to get the stage 1 since it recalibrates shifting points. Would that not make it worth it? you guys are starting to make me second guess this stage 1 lol. The only benefit is the recalibration if the shifting. That's what I was mainly looking for. A buddy of mine at gearheads on main does builds and tuning said that I don't even have to buy a dsp or stage 1, to just get bigger injectors, downpipe, upgraded wastegate and he could use a sct and tune it. I have no idea what a sct is, about to look on google but is that possible fir him to be able to tune my stock pcm without me having a dsp or upgraded stage pcm?? If so that'd save me money on buying a dsp or stage 1 and can invest in a ultra gauge instead to monitor everything? Like I said in a few other posts. I'm new to this stuff lol. This is my first turbo. Always wanted one and researched forever and wanted a cruiser so just want to make it get to the speed limit faster
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 09:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Can't a Diablosport CMR tuner recalibrate the shift points? If not, that kind of sucks.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 01:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
Can't a Diablosport CMR tuner recalibrate the shift points? If not, that kind of sucks.
Long and short of it----NO----- nothing but the STAGE 1 is capable of changing anything relating to the PT atx.

Kenne Bell used to offer a reconfigured PCM for our NA PTs only and they went to the trouble of cracking the atx codes and thus offered several differant stages of atx performance modifications as part of their OPTIMIZER II NA performance upgrades with their supercharger line that they offered for the NAs only. I had one of their units on my NA for many years but it finally died. I replaced it with an AF/X modified PCM.

I've got to run to a doctors appointment right now. I'll be back with more info on this later, the SCT in particular.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 06 Mar 2014 at 08:49 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 07:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Long and short of it----NO----- nothing but the STAGE 1 is capable of changing anything relating to the PT atx.

Kenne Bell used to offer a reconfigured PCM for our NA PTs only and they went to the trouble of cracking the atx codes and thus offered several differant stages of atx performance modifications as part of their OPTIMIZER II NA pedformance upgrades with their supercharger line that they offered for the NAs only. I had one of their units on my NA for many years but it finally died. I replaced it with an AF/X modified PCM.

I've got to run to a doctors appointment right now. I'll be back with more info on this later, the SCT in particular.

Jerry
Good! ��. awaiting response on the sct info. I looked on google and its compatible with the srt4. Now the pt gt idk if it'll communicate with the stock pcm or not to accept a different tune. I'm not looking for gobs of power. I literally just want to get to the speed limit faster lol. My goal is 260-280 and Il be done. Dont plan on trying to push more through the auto trans.

Old 06 Mar 2014, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
No it can not but there is things you can do to the transmission to compenstae.

Quote:
Good! ��. awaiting response on the sct info. I looked on google and its compatible with the srt4. Now the pt gt idk if it'll communicate with the stock pcm or not to accept a different tune. I'm not looking for gobs of power. I literally just want to get to the speed limit faster lol. My goal is 260-280 and Il be done. Dont plan on trying to push more through the auto trans.
AS of today no one I am aware of has any new updates for the PT Cruiser TCM 41te transmission. What ever Kenny Belle did is long gone. There is no ECU/PCM company that see a market to go back and open up the TCM for calibration changes. There is no company currently offering any TCM calibration changes. You can upgrade the 41te transmission parts to compensate but it requires basically rebuilding the transmission. Unless you plane on making WHP in excess of 350 you probably do not need it. There are NA based engines with stock automatics and high miles , no Stage kits and the whipple supper Charger laying down over 280+ hp without problems as one example of powering handling capability.

I compared the STAGE 1 and the DST and found that the STAGE 1 seem to have longer shift point but the shifting was pretty much as hard from from both launching 1/4 mile style off the line. I removed my STAGE 1 and opt at this time to play around with the DST. I am not concerned if I break the transmission and in one respect I hope I do so I can take it apart and see for my personal PT what I need to be more aware of on the rebuild.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Mar 2014 at 09:25 am.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 02:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't know what the Stage 1 would do for me but I love the way my trans shifts in the autostick mode.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 06 Mar 2014, 10:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post

Kenne Bell used to offer a reconfigured PCM for our NA PTs only and they went to the trouble of cracking the atx codes and thus offered several differant stages of atx performance modifications as part of their OPTIMIZER II NA performance upgrades with their supercharger line that they offered for the NAs only. I had one of their units on my NA for many years but it finally died. I replaced it with an AF/X modified PCM.

Jerry
As I said, Kenne Bell offered the atx mods and it REALLY woke up my NA between the hp and tranny modifications and as i also said, it finally died a short time ago. They stopped offering the Optimiser II around 2004 due to a lack of interest because of the factory turbo'd GTs.

My only knowledge of the SCT line was because of my conversations with SebringLX over at THE CREW. He hasn't been active over there for a couple of years now, but while he was there he sold several units to mebers at the site. He was doing most of the work on these SCT units on his own. He was a certified SCT tech, but SCT at that point was showing only a casual interest in our PTs so he took it upon himself tom carry the torch for us, hoping it would pay off in a large amount of interest and the resulting surge in sales. He offered product for the Turbo'd PTs and the NAs. I would certainly have gotten one of his units if I hadn't already had my Kenne Bell. He and I had numerus conversations about changing over to his SCTs. As luck would have it there simply wasn't a large influx of interest shown as the result of his work, due in no small part to the first offerings of the DIABLO SPORT PREDATOR coming out at that time. Bad timing. He did some very good work with the SCT and offered a "PRO" version that was used by several members and as far as I know, those PTs are still up and running today with them still installed.

As far as what is offered, if anything, by SCT today, you would have to contact them for the latest available info. As I said, it's been around two years since I have been nexposed to anything concerning them, but at that time they (SebringLX) was supplying an very good product for our PT's.

I did try to contact him a couple times in the last two years with no success.

SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

The STAGE 1 atx mods show a bigger improvement for some owners than others. I personally installed one on two of my customers GTs and noted a definite differance in both of them, one more than the other. The one that showed the biggest differance was the result of the almost complete removal of our infamous "burp" between gears. No more 1st then "burp" and into second, then "burp" and into third, etc.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 06 Mar 2014 at 10:24 pm.