Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BOV already leaking!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2014, 07:17 am
Young Cruiser

Default BOV already leaking!

I have 37,000miles on my car now and only had a max of 15psi for 2 weeks now and my stock BOV is already leaking. Used my buddies boost leak detector that clamps into the charge pipe and forces smoke through the system. I found a upgrade spring kit to rebuild it with and was wondering if anyone has tryed this yet? i know i should just buy a upgraded unit but i like the idea of just upgrading the stock unit better.

Upgrade Turbo Heavy Duty Bypass Valve BOV Spring 10lb Volvo 850 S40 SRT 4 | eBay

Has anyone else had BOV problems at 14-15 PSI?
Old 10 Mar 2014, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: BOV already leaking!

If you are all stock including PCM then 15lbs is the max/normal PSI. It should spike to 15 and hold at 12.

With the DST I spike at 18 and can hold 15psi. My system is completely sealed.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Mar 2014 at 09:49 am.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 11:49 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you are all stock including PCM then 15lbs is the max/normal PSI. It should spike to 15 and hold at 12.

yes thats why i didnt understand why it started leaking it spikes at 14-15 then falls back to 12-13 thats with the MBC and the TIP blocked off so it wont pull it all the way back to 8PSI!!!! never had such a week WG and BOV on a stock car before. my DSM never had these problems or my 1.8T VW,,,,,oh well
Old 10 Mar 2014, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Depends on altitude and ambient temperature. I have searched these forum and I hear 11-12psi is normal? 14-15psi are SRT-4 boost numbers and the PT GT supposedly does not run as much boost from what I have read. We used to have an active member on here that actually worked for Chrysler and knew quite a bit of specs on our car. I will have to dig the post up when I get off of work tonight.
Found it:
Max boost for stock GT

Quote:
I have 37,000miles on my car now and only had a max of 15psi for 2 weeks now and my stock BOV is already leaking. Used my buddies boost leak detector that clamps into the charge pipe and forces smoke through the system. I found a upgrade spring kit to rebuild it with and was wondering if anyone has tryed this yet? i know i should just buy a upgraded unit but i like the idea of just upgrading the stock unit better.
You should see my project log. My factory surge valve leaked boost. The rubber diaphragm was worn bad and the aluminum had warped.
You do not need a new spring. If you do get an upgraded spring you will probably need to run a direct vacuum line from your TB to the surge valve instead of using the solenoid. Or you will get all sorts of compressor surge. The factory solenoids don't like 10lb springs in there haha. So a new surgevalve will fix it, it fixed my leak. Stock surgevalve is good up to 30psi....

Last edited by 4drturbo; 10 Mar 2014 at 11:22 pm.