Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ok to buy Mopar parts from ebay?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2014, 07:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Ok to buy Mopar parts from ebay?

P0340 came out,
I checked the wiring of the camshaft sensor, no apparent worn wiring.
So I thought it is the sensor.

Is it safe to buy the mopar sensor from ebay, around $45.

Besides the wiring and sensor, is there any other reason that can cause P0340?

Thanks
Old 05 Apr 2014, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ok to buy Mopar parts from ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbeauty View Post
P0340 came out,

Thanks
If your asking if it's ok to buy a genuine mopar senor. I don't think it maters. but aftermarket your going to here some different things.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2014, 07:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Ok to buy Mopar parts from ebay?

It's OK to buy from Ebay;I always recommend checking any sellers feedback first(percentage & comments)....If they ship you something other than what you ordered,Ebay & PayPal protect you.
Other than the wiring,sensor,or magnet(rare,it's a 'magnet'?)....Sometimes something as simple as a loose connector,or moisture getting inside the connection/connector(use dielectric grease),another possible source of a P0340 code could be a broken timing belt.....Which is easy to confirm by looking onto the hole w/CPS removed,and see if camshaft rotates while cranking engine.
Danny7627 likes this.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Ok to buy Mopar parts from ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If your asking if it's ok to buy a genuine mopar senor. I don't think it maters. but aftermarket your going to here some different things.
That's for sure!
Members that have used aftermarket successfully will say OK,those that have had problems with aftermarket,will say 'no way',get Mopar only.
Ask 12 people,and you'll probably get 12 different answers!
It's always you that ultimately has to make the decision.......But,if you get a P0340 code in the near future.......The first thing you'll hear is: "You shoulda used Mopar"lol
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Replace the Magnet too. Go Mopar with the sensor and magnet and make sure to torque to spec. Buddy of mine went the Autozone route and he kept getting the code after replacing the Autozone sensor 4 times. He went with a Mopar OEM unit and has been fine ever since. I went Mopar with mine when it went out like 40k ago in my SRT-4, no issues since.

Old 05 Apr 2014, 09:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
That's for sure!
Members that have used aftermarket successfully will say OK,those that have had problems with aftermarket,will say 'no way',get Mopar only.
Ask 12 people,and you'll probably get 12 different answers!
It's always you that ultimately has to make the decision.......But,if you get a P0340 code in the near future.......The first thing you'll hear is: "You shoulda used Mopar"lol
I'm beginning to be a believer in MOPAR parts, but I'm kind of hard headed so it may take me a little longer to realize what may be obvious to others. A few months ago I had the spark plugs replaced with Champion #7570 Double Platinum, ignition coil replaced with NAPA Altrom brand, and ignition wires replaced with Granatelli #220123, in my '06 Touring Edition. Immediately after having these installed, the vehicle ran lousy (rough idle and gas mileage went down) and my Ultra Gauge detected fault code P0301 (mis-fire on cylinder #1). After researching, I had the spark plugs replaced and went back to the OEM recommended Champion #443. The vehicle ran fine after that. But just the other day code P0301 has come back. Next week I'm taking my vehicle back to the dealer and having the coil replaced with an OEM one. We'll see what happens after that. I have bought may items off ebay and Amazon, from various sellers, but they were entities that also had their own business or store outside of ebay or Amazon, and they were genuine MOPAR parts and haven't had any problems with the parts. Parts that I did buy from individuals, were used parts and I knew that upfront. I bought a used old style 4-gang dash window switch module because the toggles are longer than the new switches and I also purchased a used dash clock because it was a lot cheaper than new. I have not had any problems with either used part. I try to use PayPal whenever possible, because when I have had a problem, it is very easy to file a claim through PayPal and I have received my refunds pretty quickly!

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Apr 2014 at 11:54 am.
Old 05 Apr 2014, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

I've always found eBay to be the very safest place to buy just about anything. Where else can you check the satisfaction of a seller's customers going back for years. And many offer decent warranties. This setup is usually much better than a brick and mortar store.

On usually genuine Mopar parts, I cannot really under stand how repackaged parts from many different suppliers could be superior to a reputable aftermarket brand that has a reputable to protect. But it does seem that many folks belief Mopar electrical parts are more reliable than the aftermarket brands. It's possible that Mopar requires a more stringent quality control regiment from their suppliers. That might translate to higher sustainable quality. But no one has ever suggested this nor shown this to be true. I suggest folks buy whatever makes them feel the best.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 02:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbeauty View Post
P0340 came out,

Thanks

A labeled genuine part is exactly that no matter who you buy it from!

To answer your second question requires more question to ascertain if in fact the DTC remained or returned after properly clearing it.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Apr 2014 at 02:21 am.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 08:29 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep.

I've always found eBay to be the very safest place to buy just about anything. Where else can you check the satisfaction of a seller's customers going back for years. And many offer decent warranties. This setup is usually much better than a brick and mortar store.

On usually genuine Mopar parts, I cannot really under stand how repackaged parts from many different suppliers could be superior to a reputable aftermarket brand that has a reputable to protect. But it does seem that many folks belief Mopar electrical parts are more reliable than the aftermarket brands. It's possible that Mopar requires a more stringent quality control regiment from their suppliers. That might translate to higher sustainable quality. But no one has ever suggested this nor shown this to be true. I suggest folks buy whatever makes them feel the best.
Regarding the NAPA coil that I had installed on my PT a couple of months ago, it was their ALTROM brand and was pretty expensive, $134.00, for an OEM coil the dealer is charging me $96. But I remember looking at it and it had absolutely no markings of any kind on it, it was just in a brown box with a URO Parts label on the box, on another label on the box it says: "Made in: TW" which I can assume means Taiwan. But since the part had no markings, who knows what it was, where it came from, what specs does it meet? I still have my old OEM coil that was removed and on the bottom it carries a MOPAR part # and also says: "USA-2635". Needless to say, after removal I will be taking the NAPA coil back and hopefully get a full refund.

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Apr 2014 at 08:37 am.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 08:32 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
A labeled genuine part is exactly that no matter who you buy it from!

To answer your second question requires more question to ascertain if in fact the DTC remained or returned after properly clearing it.
I cleaned the sensor, and disconnected the battery,

I will see if the code return then I will replace the sensor.

Thanks for all replies.