Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Turbo 2.4L Problem need help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2014, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2003 PT Turbo 2.4L Problem need help!!

Hello all
I am new here and I am completely sorry if I put this in the wrong place.
I just need some help as I am not a mechanic.
I was driving and my car started to do a hiccup type feeling I would be driving then i would feel like the car was missing. I turned around and got my car home. The next day I went to look at my car better and when I started the car the check engine light came on and the car started but was running with a really rough idle (kinda like it is running on 2 cylinders) The car also put out a weird smell. I have tried all the cheap fixes changed spark plugs. I did notice that i had a crack in the window washer fluid line and the fluid could have been hitting the coil on top of the engine. Now i called an auto parts store and i was told that the turbo engine only has one coil that runs spark, however i was told that there is supposed to be 2 separate coils one that runs 2 and 4 cylinders and one that runs 1 and 3 cylinders. which is the truth. And can anyone tell me if this is even a coil problem. I do not have a code computer nor do i have codes and i am unable to drive the car with the problem. I can give any info a person needs, I am in desperate need to get this fixed however being a dad of six kids and injured at work money has not been a friend of mine so i hope i can fix it myself. Please any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks all and I look forward to your input on my situation. (I should have took mechanics in school instead of hanging with the girls in drama class lol )
Old 08 May 2014, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Turbo 2.4L Problem need help!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The PT Cruiser uses a waste spark ignition and has a Transformer (coil) with two units in one case.

You are really going to need to check for engine codes from your PCM (computer- Power Control Module) will have some information stored to help you. Or at least help us to help you.
A OBDII scanner is the best tool to find the DTC(s).

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 May 2014, 02:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Weird smell... like boiled washer fluid?

Rough idle... any liquid on old spark plug wires causing shorts to a ground? Change wires too maybe?

I only say it could be fluid because I just ran into this with my daily driver. A little washdown and I was tormented with all kinds of missed and dead cylinders for 3 days. On the first day I pulled the wires out of the head and dried them off with a paper towel and dipped towel down each spark plug cylinder. It seemed to clear up but then it all started again once it warmed up on the drive to work. Second day, same deal... dried out the spark plug cylinders, wiped down the wires again... got home on two cylinders. I finally took out every plug and cleaned them, completely dried all surrounding surfaces around the wires. Shot the wires with a bunch of Gumout and let them dry out in the sun for a while. Problem solved.

The slightest drops of water left inside the boots was causing major misfires, normally I would say it was something bigger but since I did the last major dry-out/spray-out the car is back to it's old self.

But...

You should definitely listen to Nitro and see if your car is throwing codes... never hurts to be in the know! At least learn to do the keydance, that might show you something.
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings

Last edited by VanillaVert; 08 May 2014 at 02:54 pm.
Old 08 May 2014, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In a pinch for the codes . Use the key dance. Turn key all the way on, not start. Then turn it back one notch and back on three times quickly. You will see some numbers such as p0340 one at a time until you see done. Let us know what they are. Or you can Google them. But we're more fun.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 May 2014, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How to retrieve fault codes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
2.4l turbo, help please, pt cruiser 2003