PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Getting the radiator fan out of my 2003 GT- video's only show non-turbo, non AT remov

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2014, 10:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Getting the radiator fan out of my 2003 GT- video's only show non-turbo, non AT remov

Its not as easy as the youtube videos make it look. The 2003 has a electronic fan connector box is hanging up on the large air hose, on the left drivers side.

Also, I just got this car and it did have slight front end damage. I am stuck because, the top right ear wont clear the a/c hose at the same time the electric connection box is trying to clear the air intake hose.

1. How far does the radiator tip out in order for you to pull the fan out? I have the model that has basically 4 radiators in the front. When tipped out to pull fan out, are all of them suppose to clear the front portion of the fender?

Unless I hear back, I think I am going to remove the right fender (potentially closer due to minor front end damage) to see if I can get some more clearance - to see if i can get the radiator to tip out more, cause the ac cooler is hitting the front of the fender on the right side potentially not allowing me to tip the radiator system out as far as i should be able to.

any thoughts?
Old 09 May 2014, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Getting the radiator fan out of my 2003 GT- video's only show non-turbo, non AT r

On the pictures I have in the HOW TO section it only shows the non-turbo (because that's all there was back in 2001-2002) and I took some of the front apart and the upper radiator hose. Some said they took the battery and air-intake off to slide the radiator sideways towards the drivers side. I didn't do it that way but by taking the front pieces out, the radiator tilts forward quite a bit to give more room to lift it up and out. Not sure how the turbo models do it so hope that helps.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

BTW: Welcome to the forum. When you have the time, please go to the WELCOME section of the forum and introduce yourself.
Old 09 May 2014, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Getting the radiator fan out of my 2003 GT- video's only show non-turbo, non AT r

Yes my goal is to change the radiator, but first the fan must be removed.
then i can get to the other bolts etc, with the fan in there there is not enough room for me to reach the bolts with any of the wrenches/sockets i have.

I have a slight paranoia about scraping the ac hoses and the at hoses on the sharp metal edges of the front fenders.

And yes, I am female taking on this job, I felt strong yesterday, but after over under over under pulling from all kinds of weird angles to disconnect hoses, disconnect bolts from weird angles, removing the tires, jacking it up and putting it on jack stands, today I feel like I went to a yoga class and I am sore all over.
Old 09 May 2014, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
On the pictures I have in the HOW TO section it only shows the non-turbo (because that's all there was back in 2001-2002) and I took some of the front apart and the upper radiator hose. Some said they took the battery and air-intake off to slide the radiator sideways towards the drivers side.
BTW: Welcome to the forum. When you have the time, please go to the WELCOME section of the forum and introduce yourself.
thanks for the welcome. I have removed the battery/box, but, the radiator fan just doesn't pull out like the video. It wont clear the 4 inch air hose at the bottom and the right top ear at the same time, there is no shifting it toward the battery. I had my husband out there pulling too. And I also do not want to ruin the 03 turbo gt fan in the process because it looks like its still in good shape.

I will take some pics this am of where I am currently. that pic was from before i started.
Old 09 May 2014, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is the AC still up? If the system is down then just remove the lines. Everything bolts to the radiator. Including the intercooler. Trans cooler, AC condenser.,

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2014, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I put it all together and installed from the bottom. By removing the lower radiator support.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 May 2014, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I put it all together and installed from the bottom. By removing the lower radiator support.
I think the ac system is still functional,entact so i don't want to disconnect that right yet.

I unbolted the front part of the right fender and it released and showed me that i do have a deficit of space on the right side that is impeding my fan extraction. I have hit it with a molly (? that tool with a slide that pulls away) and have more room now. but, now i am waiting for my 19 year old to get out of bed (day off from college) so they can pull up while i pull out to get it out.

got it out, and it was an issue of space. Thankyou

Last edited by knix; 09 May 2014 at 01:23 pm. Reason: space - time - and muscle
Old 09 May 2014, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so radiator came in fed ex truck today. and i am so confused. This radiator is suppose to fit like OEM, but, it is not. the top opening is not like the oem.

So...the OEM is two parts, my new one has the two parts together. So if I attempt to stuff this down there it would have to already have the fan attached, because there is no way of getting the fan past the upper neck.

I could return it, and buy a different one, that had the two piece neck or I could attempt to use this one, rendering it nonreturnable if it is unable to be stuffed in behind the ac condenser with the fan attached.

What is your opinion?

Last edited by knix; 09 May 2014 at 04:37 pm.
Old 09 May 2014, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot depends on if you could wait till you get the right one. I wold surely want the one that's supposed to fit properly but if you need the car back ASAP then you might want to try and use the one you received.
Old 09 May 2014, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think the only ones that come with the two part top are the OEM.

hmmm