PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! smoke problem

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2014, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Help! smoke problem

I have 03 pt gt,the car runs but it pours out white smoke for the exhaust, iv checked oil,an looks fine,the car does have random miss fire but from valve cover seals leaking oil on plugs. but really thinking its the turbo going out, turbo spolls,but no boost gage to see boost lost or not,not trying to drive car until problem found. some body help me out,new to turbos,next step if cant find problem is to get rid of car.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help! smoke problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedpt03 View Post
I have 03 pt gt,the car runs but it pours out white smoke for the exhaust, iv checked oil,an looks fine,the car does have random miss fire but from valve cover seals leaking oil on plugs. but really thinking its the turbo going out, turbo spolls,but no boost gage to see boost lost or not,not trying to drive car until problem found. some body help me out,new to turbos,next step if cant find problem is to get rid of car.
Need more info on the milage and so on. Pull off pcv hose and block off on the intake side. See what that does. Not a sweet smell is it?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2014, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

about 68 thousand miles. dosent smoke until fully warm,smoke even comes from valve cover holes fittings,what ever you call them. it has a smell like burnt or boiling smell,the car does not over heat.some times the coolent boils. an could having oil on the plugs have any effect with the problem.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
about 68 thousand miles. dosent smoke until fully warm,smoke even comes from valve cover holes fittings,what ever you call them. it has a smell like burnt or boiling smell,the car does not over heat.some times the coolent boils. an could having oil on the plugs have any effect with the problem.
Starting to sound like coolant not oil. Been adding antifreeze?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2014, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have it running on straight water,want to flush system trying to find the right coolent for it,an the pvc dosent have a hose on it,it that bad? just hoping its not the turbo,i know its not the head, or head gasket. I dint drive it much,an stoped after it started smoking, don't have a lot of money to drop all around the motor on parts.
Old 12 May 2014, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have it running on straight water,want to flush system trying to find the right coolent for it,an the pvc dosent have a hose on it,it that bad? just hoping its not the turbo,i know its not the head, or head gasket. I dint drive it much,an stoped after it started smoking, don't have a lot of money to drop all around the motor on parts.
You just answered the problem. Smells like boiling water. Same on the rear tailpipe.?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2014, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

lol,never checked, ill check it tomorrow.
does the pcv valve need a hose,or is it okay with out it?
would the coolent stop it from boiling? or the coolent would boil also,coolent getting put in as soon as possible.
what coolent should be used?
Old 12 May 2014, 09:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
lol,never checked, ill check it tomorrow.
does the pcv valve need a hose,or is it okay with out it?
would the coolent stop it from boiling? or the coolent would boil also,coolent getting put in as soon as possible.
what coolent should be used?
A good 5yr coolant. And stay with the same kind. Some will say hoat. But As long as you use one product and don't mix with other brands It's all good. Use distilled water to keep from building mineral deposits in the block and head.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 May 2014, 10:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks,i will update about the car after coolent,an gaskets been replaced.
hopefully the car should perform as it should,an boost gage will be added soon.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

In the turbo there is a shaft that connects the intake/compressor side to the exhaust/ impeller side. That shaft has an oil lubed bearing and some seals that can leak oil into the exhaust and out the tailpipe when they fail. You might notice that the "smoke" is slightly blue-ish if it's oil and a more pure white if it's coolant. The difference is very subtle, though, and hard to tell. Maybe you can check right after a drive for residue at the tailpipe to see if it's wet or oily.

Why is the hose missing for the PCV system? Is the fitting on the back of the intake manifold plugged or capped where the hose is supposed to connect? Because if it isn't, you have a massive boost/vacuum leak. The PCV valve could be stuck open, acting as a breather or it could be stuck shut dumping oil vapors into your air box and intake, pre-turbo. The hose piece is $5 and 5 minutes to replace. It sounds to me like maintenance has been pretty spotty so It would probably be a good idea to get a new PCV valve while you're at it.